Below you can find answers to commonly asked questions.

You can always find our full schedule at

The application process varies by state but generally involves completing a training course and then applying in person at a county or state law enforcement office. Here is a breakdown by state:

Summary for Permit Application Process

Alabama:   Apply at your local county sheriff's office
Alaska:   Apply in person at an office of the Alaska State Troopers, Alaska Wildlife Trooeprs, or a municipal police department authorized to accept Alaska permit applications. Best to review the required paperwork on the state site.
Arizona:   Arizona requires you complete a training course that meets their standards. All of the classes we teach and promote via this website qualify by these standards. For additional details about what other training would qualify the applicant read our Arizona required training guide.

Review the provisions contained in Arizona Revised Statute Title 13, chapters 4 and 31 which are available on the Arizona State Legislature website utilizing the following link:
You will need an application packet. If you take one of our classes we will provide it to you at that time. Otherwise contact the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit at the state, via email to request an application packet. It contains an application, two fingerprint cards and a return envelope. When requesting an application packet for a New Permit, please email your request, include your mailing address in the following format:

Your Name
1234 Weapons Street
Anytown, IL 80808

Click here to contact the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit by e-mail.

Send the completed application, adequate documentation which demonstrates firearms safety competence, two complete sets of fingerprints, the appropriate fee in the form of a money order, cashier’s or certified check; payable to the AZ DPS to the CWPU. For a current list of fees click here. Fees are non-refundable.
Arkansas:   Complete the required training and complete the license application (preferable online) and send the State Police all the paperwork and fingerprints along with the fee.
California:   Varies by county. Contact your county sheriff office
Colorado:   Complete course and present training certificate at county sheriff's office.
Connecticut:   First you must obtain a temporary permit from your local police department. Then after completing the required training you can submit your application.
Delaware:   1. Arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in your County to have your application published once, at least (10) days before the filing of your application with the Court. Obtain an affidavit from the newspaper company stating that this requirement has been met, and attach it to your application. PLEASE NOTE: Newspaper of selection must have a circulation of at least 35% of the population in your zip code. Be sure to use your whole name – no initials – and your home address.
2. Arrange to be fingerprinted. Fingerprinting by Appointment Only Appointments are ONLY Tuesday & Thursday noon to 6:30 p.m. You will be given the address of the Delaware State Police Troop to report to at the time you are given an appointment. For an appointment call: (302) 739-2528 or 1-800-464-4357 Payment by certified check, money order, business check, or credit card for exact amount only. No cash or personal checks accepted and picture ID required. Fingerprints must be taken within 30 days of filing application.
3. Have the reference questionnaires completed by five (5) citizens from the County in which you reside.
4. Complete the attached questionnaire and have it notarized. (The Prothonotary Office will notarize a document for a $1.00 fee)
5. Include two (2) 2 x 2 color passport-style photographs of the applicant, taken within the six-month period immediately preceding the filing of the application.
6. Include the statutory filing fee of $34.50. Cash, money order or personal check, made payable to the “PROTHONOTARY” will be accepted. (Credit cards are accepted in Kent County ONLY)
7. New applications may be filed at any time. You must file the original set and a complete copy of all the documents. (DUPLICATE COPY) You may hand deliver your application to the Prothonotary’s Office or, if all the requirements are met, mail to the Prothonotary Office in the County in which you are applying:

New Castle County Prothonotary Office
CCDW Permit
500 N. King Street, Suite 1500
Wilmington, DE 19801-3704

Kent County Prothonotary Office
38 The Green
Dover, DE 19901

Sussex County Prothonotary Office
Sussex County Courthouse
1 The Circle, Suite 2
Georgetown, DE 19947

You may be contacted by a representative of the Attorney General’s Office for a personal interview.

If you have any questions, please contact:
New Castle County 302-255-0556
Kent County 302-739-3184 ext. 164
Sussex County 302-856-5742

Following review of your application by the Attorney General’s Office and the Court, you will receive written notification as to whether your application has been denied or approved. If your application is approved, you must now complete an Approved Gun Course. For exact details of what the course must include see 11 Del. C. § 1441. Upon completion of the course please submit your Certificate – certified by the Instructor and notarized to the Court. Your new CCDW permit will be issued following receipt verification of the gun course.
District of Columbia:   Best to review these instructions from the Metro Police link
Florida:   Complete the required class and submit the application. You can submit in person or via mail.
Georgia:   Appear to the probate court in the county in which you reside. Research county specific procedures.
Hawaii:   Contact your chief of police.
Idaho:   Present the application and other required documents with the Sheriff’s office in your county of residence.
Illinois:   First you must obtain a FOID card. Then you can submit your application online. More detailed instructions here
Indiana:   Fill out online application. Submit electronic fingerprints. Pay fee at local law enforcement agency.
Iowa:   Contact your county sheriff office.
Kansas:   Apply at your county sheriff office.
Kentucky:   The first step is to take a complete a firearms safety or training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training (like our course). The course fee is set at $75 by the state. All instructors must charge exactly $75 and $25 of that fee collected by the instructor is passed on to the state. (237.112 The law that says instructors may not charge more than $75 plus up to $10 for range fees, targets, and associated rentals/costs)

After the class is complete, the instructor will submit information about your pass or fail status to DOCJT. You will receive a class completion certificate THE DAY OF THE CLASS.

After receiving the certificate, you can either visit your local sheriff’s office or you can complete your CCDW application online by uploading a PDF of the training certificate, a PDF of your Drivers License, and a PDF of your picture you want on the license. Applying online does require a user account be registered prior to the application. If you submit your application online you will pay $50 and then an additional $20 when you pick up your permit from the sheriff’s office.

If you go to the Sheriff’s Office the background check is to be completed within 15 working days. The total fee if you go to the sheriff’s office will be $60 (active and retired peace officers that meet the requirements of KRS 237.110(7) are exempt from paying the application or renewal fee).

The application must include a completed Citizenship Affidavit. You can access or download the affidavit (KSP 131).

The Sheriff’s office submits your application to the Kentucky State Police who will conduct a background check. They will issue or deny your license within 90 days. You will receive a “Flash Pak” in the mail with information about picking up your permit at your sheriff’s office.
Louisiana:   Take a qualifying class and then submit the application with the appropriate fee. More info
Maine:   Submit paperwork along with the fee and proof of training.
Maryland:   Fill out electronic application. Submit with required paperwork and proof of training
Massachusetts:   In Mass there is a Resident Firearm License which is required to possess firearms and a License to Carry which is required to carry them. More info here.
Michigan:   Complete a qualifying course. Submit the application with fee(s) to the county clerk. Wait for background check to process.
Minnesota:   Complete the required training course and present the fee and your ID at your county sheriff office.
Mississippi:   Complete an application and bring it to a DPS substation or the headquarters in Jackson. More info here.
Missouri:   Bring proof of training and valid state ID to your county sheriff office
Montana:   Apply in person at county sheriff office.
Nebraska:   Submit via mail or in person your application with required fee and documentation to a Nebraska State Patrol Troop Area Headquarters
Nevada:   A completed application for the permit must accompany a set of ten-print fingerprint cards, a full-view color
photograph of the applicant. All fees and costs associated with obtaining a concealed firearms permit are the
responsibility of the applicant and are not refundable.
New Hampshire:   Local Police/Sheriff issue resident permits. Contact them for forms or print one from online. Take it to your
Police/Sheriff along with your State Photo Drivers License/ID. The process is simple and straight forward.
Cost is $10
New Jersey:   Contact your local chief police officer / sheriff and ask about their process
New Mexico:   Submit an application with the fees, and other required documentation.
New York:   New York has so many laws and regulations that applying for a permit to carry can be a long drawn
out process in some counties or rapid in others . Your best course of action is to check with the
Licensing Officer in your City or County as they have a set procedure they go by.
North Carolina:   Apply at the sheriff office. Complete an application, pay the fee, submit fingerprints and provide proof of training.
North Dakota:   Apply via mail. Include all required documentation, application, and fee.
Ohio:   The sheriff must provide you with the internet link to obtain a printable application form and you should print, and read, the Attorney General pamphlet on Concealed Carry. You must pay a fee, which will vary depending on the background check the sheriff must conduct. The minimum fee for a background check and license is $67. You must provide evidence of your training certification and certify that you have read the Attorney General's publication. Applicants also must submit their fingerprints, which are necessary to conduct the background check.
Oklahoma:   Complete the application along with required documentation and fees. Submit to county sheriff.
Oregon:   Complete a qualifying class and present your certificate at your county sheriff's office. Fill out the application and pay the fee.
Pennsylvania:   Both NEW and RENEWAL Applicants need ONLY do the following:
1. Appear in-person with a valid and accurate PA Drivers' License or PA Photo ID Card.
2. Completely fill out an application (References are NOT required for Renewals ONLY.)
3. Upon approval, payment of $20.00 in the form of CASH ONLY is required.
Rhode Island:   Depends on where you apply.
South Carolina:   Applicants must include a non-refundable payment of $50.00 (certified check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to SLED.

 Applicants must submit a good quality photocopy of their state issued driver’s license or officially issued identification card.

 Resident aliens must provide a copy of their alien card from the Department of Homeland Security.

 Qualified nonresident applicants must submit a completed Real Property Tax Form (SLED Form R- 168).

The following only apply to NEW permit applications:

 Applicants must submit an original completed, signed, and dated application. The CWP instructor must also sign the application.

 Applicants must submit two (2) complete, legible sets of fingerprint cards.

 Active duty military applicants must submit military orders. Retired or former military applicants must submit a copy of their DD214.

 Retired law enforcement officers exempt from paying the fee must submit proof of retirement benefits/pension documentation.

 Active/retired South Carolina law enforcement officers exempt from training must submit current legal and firearm training documentation. Out-of-state retired law enforcement officers (or those 3 whose certification has expired) must submit proof of graduation from a federal or state academy that included firearms training as a graduation requirement.

 Disabled veterans exempt from paying the fee must submit documentation from the VA indicating disability percentage.

 CWP training courses must have been completed within three years of filing the application.

 Training date, instructor certification number, and student number must be entered onto the application.

 You must submit a signed copy of the SLED CWP Instructor/Student Checklist with your application. Permit issued after February 11, 2014 will be valid for 5 years.

Please mail all of this information to:

CWP Application, SLED Data Center, P.O. Box 21398, Columbia, S.C. 29221-1398)

Please Note: It will take approximately ninety (90) days to process your new application.
South Dakota:   Present the required paperwork and fee to your county sheriff office.
Tennessee:   Pick up an application from any Driver Services Center location
Texas:   Submit an application online to the Texas Department of Public Safety. More detailed info here: Overview of TX License Application Process
Utah:   Mail or apply in person to the State Department of Public Safety.
Vermont:   Vermont doesn't issue permits.
Virginia:   Mail application with fingerprints, training certificate, and fee to VA State police. More Info Here.
Washington:   You can apply for your concealed weapons permit at your local Police Station or Sheriff’s Office in the area you reside in.
West Virginia:   Apply at your local county sheriff office
Wisconsin:   Mail the completed application, fee, and proof of training to:
Wisconsin Department of Justice
Attn: Firearms Unit
PO Box 7130
Madison, WI, 53707-7130
Wyoming:   Fill out online application and then appear at your local sheriff office.
While Concealed Carry Inc strives to maintain legal reference information updated on this website; you as the reader and gun owner are responsible to do any and all necessary research and consult with a local attorney before making any decisions. Concealed Carry Inc is not liable for any misinformation, inaccuracies, or actions taken based on this information. We are not attorneys and this information is not legal advice. If you see any information you feel is outdated or incorrect please contact us.

Legal Summaries for all 50 states are available free on our site and mobile app.

The training requirements for applying for a concealed carry permit vary by state. Some states have no training requirements at all while some may require as much as 16 hours of training. Below is a summary by state.

Summary for Permit Training Requirements

Alabama:   None.
Alaska:   Must take a state approved handgun course which shall include knowledge of Alaska law relating to firearms and deadly force, familiarity with the basic concepts of safe and responsible use of handguns, knowledge of self-defense principles, and physical competence with a handgun.
Arizona:   An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
Arkansas:   Basic 5 hour class for the basic permit or 8 hour enhanced training for the enhanced permit. List of certified instructors maintained online. Any person who becomes a resident of Arkansas who has a valid license by a reciprocal state may apply to transfer his/her license.
California:   Each county can set forth the training requirements to qualify to apply.
Colorado:   Must take a firearm safety class from a certified instructor within 10 years of applying.
Connecticut:   A handgun safety course which must consist of no less than the NRA's Basic Pistol Course. Live fire is also required.
Delaware:   Must complete a course which shall include:
 Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of firearms;

b. Instruction regarding safe storage of firearms and child safety;

c. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of ammunition;

d. Instruction regarding safe storage of ammunition and child safety;

e. Instruction regarding safe firearms shooting fundamentals;

f. Live fire shooting exercises conducted on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition;

g. Identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills;

h. Instruction regarding federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;

i. Instruction regarding the laws of this State pertaining to the use of deadly force for self-defense; and

j. Instruction regarding techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.
District of Columbia:   Best to review these instructions from the Metro Police link
Florida:   Applicant must take a class from a certified instructor. Class must include a live fire element.
Georgia:   None
Hawaii:   None
Idaho:   Basic permit requires only mimimal training such as hunter education. Enhanced permit requires a full class with live fire.
Illinois:   A minimum of 16 hours of training from a state certified instructor.
Indiana:   None
Iowa:   1. An applicant for an initial permit to carry weapons shall demonstrate knowledge of
firearm safety by any of the following means:
a. Completion of any national rifle association handgun safety training course.
b. Completion of any handgun safety training course available to the general public
offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public
institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the
national rifle association or the department of public safety or another state’s department of
public safety, state police department, or similar certifying body.
c. Completion of any handgun safety training course offered for security guards,
investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement or
security enforcement agency approved by the department of public safety.
d. Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United
e. Completion of a law enforcement agency firearm safety training course that qualifies a
peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer’s duties.
f. Completion of a hunter education program approved by the natural resource
commission pursuant to section 483A.27, if the program includes handgun safety training
and completion of the handgun safety training is included on the certificate of completion
Kansas:   You must take a class from an instructor on the approved/certified list maintained by the state. Class will last at least 8 hours and will include live fire.
Kentucky:   Applicants must take a state certified course taught by a state certified instructor.
Louisiana:   Applicant must complete a course. Generally runs 8 hours and must include live fire.More info
Maine:   Basically any NRA official course qualifies.
Maryland:   Wear and Carry Permit training is 16 hours of instruction for an original application and 8 hours of instruction for a renewal application. The approved training is offered by a Qualified Handgun Instructor and will include instruction on state firearm law, home firearm safety, handgun mechanisms and operation, and a component that requires the applicant to demonstrate gun safety and proficiency with a minimum score of 70% accuracy.

Designated security personnel (security guards, private detectives, special police, and armored car drivers/guards) must shoot a practical police course of at least 50 rounds, from no further than 25 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

All other applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.
Massachusetts:   "Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Course"
Michigan:   Michigan requires a basic handgun training course.
Minnesota:   Required to complete a state certified pistol safety training program.
Mississippi:   No training required for the basic permit. The enhanced permit requires taking a class from a State DPS Certifie Instructor
Missouri:   Must take a course from a qualified instructor
Montana:   You must have completed any one of the following: Montana Hunter Ed Course, State Approved Course, Any course from a National Firearms Group, or possess a DD214
Nebraska:   Take a State Patrol approved training course.
Nevada:   Applicant must complete a 8 hour course that includes a specific live course of fire.
New Hampshire:   None
New Jersey:   Applicant must prove competence. Documentation of training will be required but specifics aren't clear.
New Mexico:   Applicants must complete a 15 hour course that includes live fire. Applicants must take ongoing training courses every 2 years
New York:   Varies by county
North Carolina:   The class consists of a classroom portion and a live range fire portion.
North Dakota:   An applicant for a class 1 license shall successfully participate in a classroom instruction that sets forth
weapon safety rules and the deadly force law of North Dakota, complete an open book test based upon a
manual, demonstrate familiarity with a firearm or dangerous weapon, and complete an actual shooting or
certified proficiency exercise. An applicant for a class 2 license is required to successfully complete the open book test offered for the
class 1 license.
Ohio:   The total time required for training is 8 hours with a minimum of 2 hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training
Oklahoma:   Complete a firearms safety and training course and demonstrate competence and qualifications with the
type of pistol to be carried by the person as provided in Section 1290.14 of this title, and submit proof of
training and qualification or an exemption for training and qualification as authorized by Section 1290.14 of
this title
Oregon:   Applicants must complete a simple handgun safety course. No live fire required.
Pennsylvania:   None
Rhode Island:   Must take a class from a certified NRA instructor.
South Carolina:   (a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;
South Dakota:   The basic permit has no training requirement. To apply for the enhanced permit one must complete a Qualifying handgun course which is taught by a NRA instructor who also has completed a state course on the use of force. The course must include laws, basic use, self-defense principles, and live fire of at least 98 rounds of ammo. 23-7-58
Tennessee:   New "Concealed Carry Only" / "Basic" permit requires only 90 minute online-only class. Enhanced permit (prior to Jan 1 2020 was the only permit), requires taking a class offered by an instructor certified by the TN Dept of Safety. The training requirement is an 8-hour class approved by TN Dept of Safety, including a written test and a 50-round graded live-fire test with a handgun-caliber pistol. Passing for both tests is 70%.
Texas:   You must take a training course proving competency with a handgun that is taught by a state certified instructor.
Utah:   Must take state regulated and prescribed class. Classroom only, appx 4 hours.
Vermont:   N/A
Virginia:   Any in-person firearm training course qualifies. [Updated Jan 1st, 2021]
Washington:   There is no required training to get your Washington concealed weapons permit.
West Virginia:   Take a training course which could include any of the following:
(1) Any official National Rifle Association handgun safety or training course;
(2) Any handgun safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by an
official law-enforcement organization, community college, junior college, college or private or public
institution or organization or handgun training school utilizing instructors duly certified by the
(3) Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by a handgun instructor certified as
such by the state or by the National Rifle Association;
(4) Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by any branch of the United States
Military, Reserve or National Guard.
Wisconsin:   Applicants must provide proof of firearm training. Any 1 of the following qualifies: An unrevoked permit from another state, proof of military or law enforcement training, WI Department of Justice Firearm Safety Course, Any firearm safety course taught by a nationally certified instructor (IE NRA or similar). NOTE: ALL the classes we teach and advertise on qualify.
Wyoming:   None
While Concealed Carry Inc strives to maintain legal reference information updated on this website; you as the reader and gun owner are responsible to do any and all necessary research and consult with a local attorney before making any decisions. Concealed Carry Inc is not liable for any misinformation, inaccuracies, or actions taken based on this information. We are not attorneys and this information is not legal advice. If you see any information you feel is outdated or incorrect please contact us.

Legal Summaries for all 50 states are available free on our site and mobile app.

Gun law varies from state to state. Click on your state below to view a summary for your state.

These summaries are also available in our no-cost mobile app, and in paper form in our "Legal Boundaries By State" book.

We require prepayment for any class or event in order to guarantee the customer’s spot at the event. Our refund policy varies depending on the cost of the course you are attending.

For classes/events that cost $150 or less:

If you prepay for a class that costs $150 or less and are unable to attend for any reason we will gladly refund your charge or credit you the cost toward another class. You need to contact us to request a refund or to request to apply the cost toward a future event. 

For classes/events that cost $151 or more: 

Our instructors have financial risk when they reserve a venue, pay fees, order materials, and prepare for a class. Since we are in the firearms training industry, we are limited in the number of students we can have on a firing line at a gun range both due to space limitations but also to ensure a safe environment. 

When a student enrolls and a spot is reserved for that student but they fail to attend and end up with a refund the worst-case scenario is that the instructor often loses money on the class overall or has missed out on selling that seat to another student who would have been able to attend.

For this reason, for classes or events that cost $151 or more, the student may receive a full refund if they cancel with a minimum of 14 days before the event. Within the 14 days prior to the event the student may cancel and receive a 50% refund.


What you may be required to bring to your class will vary significantly depending on what class, in what state, and even by the instructor teaching.

On the website where you enroll in the class we include a brief summary of what you should expect to bring with you. After enrolling a more detailed list is displayed on the screen and sent to you via email. It is within the receipt email.