For those interested this is a quick tutorial for applying for a Virginia non-resident permit.
All of the following must be included in the envelope you mail to the State of Virginia:
- Completed, signed, and notarized application SP-248.
- Money order or cashier's check in the amount of $100.00 made payable to the “Virginia State Police”
- Two photographs, meeting the following requirements:
- 2×2 inches in width & height (standard passport photos)
- Taken in the past 6 months
- Full face, front view w/ a plain white or off-white background with the head centered in the frame. The applicant's head, including both face and hair, should be shown from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin on top and bottom and from hairline side-to-side. Side or angled views are not accepted.
- Taken in normal street attire. Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily. Do not wear a hat or headgear. If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture. Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required. A photograph depicting a person wearing a traditional facemask or veil that does not permit adequate identification is not acceptable.
- Digitally reproduced photographs must be reproduced without discernible pixels or dot patterns.
Photocopied photographs are NOT accepted.
- Completed fingerprint card (Applicant Card FD-258). The impressions must be obtained by a law enforcement agency, and the card must:
- be signed by the applicant
- be signed by the law enforcement individual taking the prints
- include the telephone number of the law enforcement individual taking the prints to facilitate the validation of authenticity
- *the agency stamp on the back of the print card is requested but not mandatory
- A Certificate of Course Completion (Virginia requires you complete an in-person gun safety course [Updated Jan 1st 2021])
- Photocopy of valid photo-ID issued by a governmental agency (like your state drivers license)
- Apply appropriate postage on the envelope and mail to:
Firearms Transaction Center
Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Department of State Police
P.O. Box 85141
Richmond, VA 23285-5141
Should you need to contact the State of Virginia at any time you can call (804) 674-2000 or email no**********@vs*.gov