Top Menu

Kentucky Concealed Carry Laws

Kentucky Gun Laws

  Open Carry: Lawful
  Duty to Notify Law Enforcement: Only when asked by the officer
  State Parks: Concealed Carry is legal in accordance with state laws that regulate the right to carry
  Restaurants Serving Alcohol: No specific restriction.
  Firearms at Colleges: Concealed guns allowed only in locked cars in parking lots
  Firearms at K-12 Schools: Those with a KY permit may have a loaded handgun in the vehicle only.
  Magazine Capacity Limitations: No restrictions
  Suppressor Ownership: Lawful
  Vehicle Possession Without Recognized Permit: Handguns, loaded or unloaded, may be kept in plain view or in any factory-installed enclosed container or compartment such as a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket. KRS 527.020
  Firearm Law Uniformity: Uniform throughout state
  Permit Training Requirements: Applicants must take a state certified course taught by a state certified instructor.
  Permit Issuing Authority: Kentucky State Police
  May/Shall Issue: Shall Issue
  State Contact Info: Kentucky State Police
919 Versailles Rd
Frankfort, KY 40601
  Length of Permit Validity: Five Years
  Permit Application Process: The first step is to take a complete a firearms safety or training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training (like our course). The course fee is set at $75 by the state. All instructors must charge exactly $75 and $25 of that fee collected by the instructor is passed on to the state. (237.112 The law that says instructors may not charge more than $75 plus up to $10 for range fees, targets, and associated rentals/costs)

After the class is complete, the instructor will submit information about your pass or fail status to DOCJT. You will receive a class completion certificate THE DAY OF THE CLASS.

After receiving the certificate, you can either visit your local sheriff’s office or you can complete your CCDW application online by uploading a PDF of the training certificate, a PDF of your Drivers License, and a PDF of your picture you want on the license. Applying online does require a user account be registered prior to the application. If you submit your application online you will pay $50 and then an additional $20 when you pick up your permit from the sheriff’s office.

If you go to the Sheriff’s Office the background check is to be completed within 15 working days. The total fee if you go to the sheriff’s office will be $60 (active and retired peace officers that meet the requirements of KRS 237.110(7) are exempt from paying the application or renewal fee).

The application must include a completed Citizenship Affidavit. You can access or download the affidavit (KSP 131).

The Sheriff’s office submits your application to the Kentucky State Police who will conduct a background check. They will issue or deny your license within 90 days. You will receive a “Flash Pak” in the mail with information about picking up your permit at your sheriff’s office.
  Non-Resident Permits: Only to military personnel
  Places Off Limits: Any police station or sheriff's office;
(b) Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
(c) Any courthouse, solely occupied by the Court of Justice courtroom, or court proceeding;
(d) Any meeting of the governing body of a county, municipality, or special district; or any meeting
of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly, except that nothing in this section
shall preclude a member of the body, holding a concealed deadly weapon license, from carrying a
concealed deadly weapon at a meeting of the body of which he or she is a member;
(e) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption
on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose; 4
(f) Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of school authorities as provided
in KRS 527.070, any child-caring facility as defined in KRS 199.011, any day-care center as defined
in KRS 199.894, or any certified family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, except
however, any owner of a certified child-care home may carry a concealed firearm into the owner's
residence used as a certified child-care home;
(g) An area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property; or
(h) Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
  Constitutional Carry: Yes. Residents and non-residents 21 or older may carry concealed without a permit.
  Resident Permit Reciprocity:
  Duty to Retreat: No Duty to Retreat
  Hotels: No legal restriction - Reference article on page 67
While Concealed Carry Inc strives to maintain legal reference information updated on this website; you as the reader and gun owner are responsible to do any and all necessary research and consult with a local attorney before making any decisions. Concealed Carry Inc is not liable for any misinformation, inaccuracies, or actions taken based on this information. We are not attorneys and this information is not legal advice. If you see any information you feel is outdated or incorrect please contact us.

Legal Summaries for all 50 states are available free on our site and mobile app.