Walmart, President Trump, And The NRA

There is so much news coming out this week it's almost hard to know where to start. It's a mix, really. Some good, some bad. We'll start with what's going on with America's largest brick and mortar retailer, Walmart.

Walmart CEO Backs More Gun Control

As we remember, two mass murders took place at two different Walmarts in two different states. One in Ohio and one in Texas. Immediately after these murders took place the anti-gun crowd began calling on Walmart to stop selling guns, back gun control measures, etc.

At first it looked like Walmart would stay strong, but in a recent article I saw by CNN, Walmart CEO Doug McMillon supports a ban on “assault weapons” and clearly doesn't want people like you and I to buy their ammunition anymore.

Here is a quote from this article:

We're encouraged that broad support is emerging to strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger. We believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness in keeping weapons made for war out of the hands of mass murderers.

A few years back, Walmart stopped selling America's Favorite Rifle, the AR-15, as well as any other firearms they consider to be “assault weapons.”

It sure seems as though Walmart forgot who their primary customer base is, gun-toting rednecks. Previously, it was easy for me to just run to the Walmart to buy some cheap 9mm on my way to the range. Now I've gotta go out of my way, or just buy off of Lucky Gunner.

The last thing to do on my agenda is support an anti-gun business, and I hope you feel the same way. They'll still hypocritically sell the ammunition though, because they believe they own about 20% of the ammo market.

I doubt they will, after this.

Another NRA Board Member Resigns

Seems like every couple weeks or so another NRA Board Member resigns. And, for some reason, they're almost always the decent ones who're resigning. And, each one who resigns says something along the lines of “I'm resigning because I'm unable to do my job.”

Of course, that quote isn't a real one, more of a paraphrase of multiple different people. This last NRA board member to resign is NASCAR great Richard Childress.

Childress was one of the board members who supported Oliver North in requesting more transparency and a financial audit and had an “A” rating from HelpSaveTheNRA.com. He sadly resigned, and, according to his resignation letter, plans to focus more on his business. Here is his letter:

Most of the above letter is a cookie cutter resignation, with the exception of one sentence that reads as such:

But when, as now, I am no longer able to be fully engaged in any commitment I have made, it becomes time for me to step down.

It makes me wonder, why was he no longer able to be fully engaged in these commitments? My guess, is just as many of the other former board members, he was restricted in his duties (I have no proof of this). There remains only a small handful of “A” rated board members left, and something's gotta give.

Because of this, the NRA continues spiraling out of control in the eyes of all onlookers, giving our opponents the satisfaction.

President Trump On Background Checks

I'm not entirely sure what to think about President Trump's stance on the Second Amendment is anymore. He has flip-flopped numerous times on the topic of background checks (as well as other topics), and has done so even this month. On August 9 he said we need stronger checks, and on the 19th he said we don't need more.

You can watch a video the Washington Post put together, here:

While I don't know what to make of it, one thing is for sure: the president is not stupid no matter what anyone says.

I'm not sure what he's doing, but I can tell you that he doesn't want to ruin his chances for 2020 by upsetting a huge portion of people who voted him in to begin with.

We are quickly approaching election time and he has to understand that dropping a fat deuce on the Second Amendment will not help him in anyway.

We'll continue to watch this closely.

Leave your thoughts on any of these stories in the comments below. And, as always, feel free to share however you see fit.

, , ,

14 Responses to Walmart, President Trump, And The NRA

1. Andrew McCluskey August 21, 2019 at 11:00 am #

Walmart – Don’t shop there anyway.

NRA – Join GOA, they don’t compromise. NRA should have a COngree email bombarding website like GOA.

Trump – Will have to wait and wee.

2. Herbert D Hicks August 21, 2019 at 12:45 pm #

I’m a firm believer in the needs for second amendment rights to bear arms. The portion of the politicians that want to take this away, are the same ones that want our democratic nation to turn more socialistic and control everything in your’s and my life for free (yea right, believe that and I got a nice democratic bridge to sell you in NYC).

But I do believe that we could have a stronger background check. This would be my suggestion.

a National background check, a 3 year gun permit, all background checks would require law enforcement and a physical by a physician. The requirements being similar to that for a Haz Mat endorsement for a commercial driver’s licence.

And this your permit would be good any place in the USA and for ground travel only.

• mark miller August 21, 2019 at 7:41 pm #

So, who gets to pick the physician? What if the local police are anti-gun? What are the qualifications for the doctor or police? All 50 States are going to accept the decision of the locals. I don’t see NY agreeing with AZ.

What happens if you are turned down? Is there an avenue to contest the decision?

• Joe Shahoud August 22, 2019 at 5:12 am #

If it’s good anywhere in the US, why only ground travel? How does that make sense?

• Chris L August 23, 2019 at 10:19 am #

Except a Haz Mat endorsment is not a Constitutional Right!

3. William Ross August 21, 2019 at 1:27 pm #

I’ve never entirely trusted Trump on 2A, and the executive order on bump stocks supports my skepticism. I don’t know who he thinks will vote for him who otherwise would not if he fails to embrace gun control, but I can tell you that as a gun owner, if he dies so, I will not. Sure we’ll get a Democrat if he loses, but as far as 2A is concerned, what’s the difference? And if he’s willing to betray his base on this core issue, what’s the difference between him and any ither politician?

4. Eddie Wells August 21, 2019 at 1:32 pm #

GOA and SAF all the way. The NRA will not get any more of my money until Wayne the Compromiser resigns.
    I do not shop Walmart since they caved years ago. I purchase at local gun retailers or online.

5. Duke parks August 21, 2019 at 1:34 pm #

He the president has already lost key supporters by not standing firm on the right to bear arms, even if he starts talking pro second amendment at this point he created skepticism by the very people that voted for him, not to be infringed is the word mr president 🇺🇸

6. becker August 21, 2019 at 1:39 pm #

hi josh, you may want to look into AMMO SUPPLY WAREHOUSE as well. We have shipping locations in PA and NV. We are also commercial supporters of Concealedcarry.com. Give us a try, I’m certain you’ll be happy.

7. Duke parks August 21, 2019 at 1:41 pm #

It’s not just Walmart it’s also the nra that has pushed for background checks, crazy people still pass them , and do horrible things. I don’t trust the nra they are compromised!

8. Mike Pryce August 21, 2019 at 1:51 pm #

The leadership of the NRA has picked one hell of a time to go Cadillac on us. We need alternatives ASAP.

9. Rich Weber August 21, 2019 at 5:30 pm #

There already is a national background check, it’s called NICS. The FBI is in charge. If that is not a government background check, then what is and what agency will be in control?You fill out a form and better not lie. If there is anything flagged you will have to wait to be cleared or denied the ability to make the purchase. Weapons purchased online get sent to an FFL for a background check before legally taking possession of said weapon. I don’t know what the “gun show loophole” is, but I had to wait for a background check before I got the weapons.

Getting a CCP involves paperwork, law enforcement, (state and local), fingerprinting, training, and fee, expensive in some cases.

What are universal background checks? I bet you could get as many answers as there are politicians pushing for more gun control which is nothing more than restricting law biding citizens from their 2nd amendment rights.

Want to stop criminals from killing citizens? Take away the citizen’s guns, that will solve the gun violence. Kinda like banning sober drivers from driving so they won’t be killed be drunk drivers. Right!

Since everyone buying a firearm is not going into law enforcement, should a physical be required? For trucking, yes.

10. dwhite54 August 21, 2019 at 8:55 pm #

Why do people want to burden the law abiding citizens with all this BS? Physicals? Really? Nothing we can come up with will keep the guns out of the criminals hands. NOTHING! So why keep coming up with these crazy ideas? Just do a better job of policing what we all ready have.

11. Roy Richards August 21, 2019 at 10:18 pm #

What about that red tag law if some one wants to pull a trick on you or get upset about something you did even your kids they don’t like to be corected they could cause you trouble and who is going to pay the cort cost to get your fire arms back. if they want something like that then they need to make sure that they have a stiff penalty for some one turning in a false report. They know that those people that want to do harm can get a gun on any back street in any town with any size at all. They take my gun I will have one any way I can get it back street or black market. where guns are there is safety. Our Church camp give some people that cary training from NRA on how to respond if some one ever come in to do harm and now our Church is we all ready cary in church we have two retired police officers that come there. Let them have their gun free zones and mass murders I won’t go in one without a weapon I care about my life and others too.