Utah Gun Owner Saves Police Officer With Concealed Carry Gun

This incident occurred in the town of Springville, just South of Provo, Utah last Friday afternoon.

At around 2:00 pm, a Springville Police Officer saw a man later identified as Paul Douglas Anderson digging through a Tabitha’s Way donation bin, so naturally the officer pulled up to Anderson and asked him to get out of the bin.

As the officer continued to speak to Anderson, he was becoming increasingly worried about Anderson’s hands remaining in his pockets. Repeatedly, the officer asked Anderson to show him his hands. After several orders, Anderson obliged by removing his hands. However, Anderson wasn’t putting his hands on the ground or his own head. Instead, he immediately sucker punched the officer.

This attack was witnessed by a man by the name of Derek Meyer who was in his car when he saw Anderson not only punch the officer once but mount him and continue raining punches down on the police officer.

Meyer couldn’t stand to see this happening to the cop, so he pulled up behind the officer and attempted to help in whatever way he could.

What neither the attacker nor the attacked realized, was that Meyer was a card-carrying concealed carrier who yelled at Anderson to get off of the officer and drew his firearm from his holster, pointing it at Anderson. This caused Anderson to get off the officer and run away, where he was quickly captured by backup units in the area when he was found hiding under a flatbed truck.

“I carry a gun to protect me and those around me, but primarily I carry a gun to protect my family first and foremost,” Meyer said to FOX 13 News. “Outside of that, if I were to use my gun to protect anyone it would be law enforcement or military personnel.”

Below is Utah’s FOX 13 report on the incident.

Video Courtesy of FOX 13 Salt Lake City

As for the officer, he was taken to the hospital following the incident for a fractured eye socket. He is expected to make a full recovery.

And our concealed carrying guardian angel, Derek Meyer, was later asked about his role in the incident. He stated that he believes anyone would have done what he did, but that he was proud to be a part of a story that portrays responsible gun owners in a positive light.

Well I am sure that the assaulted officer was grateful for Meyer’s stepping in. According to Corporal Cory Waters with the Springville Police Department, while it was good Meyer showed up when he did, others should be careful before following his example in high-stress situations. Officers are wary of anyone nearby with a weapon. So as we have said before, don’t get involved with every situation and don’t think that you’re a hero because it could be just as dangerous to do what Meyer did as it was for Anderson.

What do you think of this story? Would you help out like Meyer did or leave it to the police? Let us know in the comments below.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Utah Gun Owner Saves Police Officer With Concealed Carry Gun

1. kennyglover54 February 6, 2018 at 2:58 pm #

I admire the bravery of the bystander to assist the officer. Would he have been justified by shooting the bg if he didn’t comply? Personally I think he would.

2. R2Hell February 7, 2018 at 2:28 am #

Once again, the police are officially required to dissuade others from following this CCers’ example, but privately thankful he did. I also believe the CCer would have been vindicated had this situation gone sideways.

3. Doug Walker February 8, 2018 at 4:36 pm #

Police Officers carry a gun to protect their lives when necessary, concealed carriers for the same reason, both have the same license, I believe any concealed carrier would have helped this Officer in the same situation, why not, we’re both law abiding citizens helping each other whenever we can, that situation could have gotten drastically worse if the citizen hadn’t intervened !!

4. Daniel February 8, 2018 at 5:39 pm #

It’s an easy call for me. I would have drawn my weapon, shout a warning and pulled/sprayed my mace on the assailient if he didn’t comply within seconds.

Everyone knows that every blow to the head could be fatal to the officer. I wouldn’t be concerned with legal implications in the heat of the moment. I’d rather risk my life to save that officer from even one more blow and deal with the rest later.

I know I might have also mistakenly sprayed the officer during my attempt to help him. But what the heck, a little mace in the face is better than a crushed skull.

And next question, if I didn’t have my mace, would I fire upon the assailint? I would have kicked him in the head first to get him off the officer. Then wing him when I felt the officer was out of harms way.

Pretty simple decisions from someone who’s been in and seen many a street fight growing up in Newark NJ. Now living in Nashville.

• Joseph Basciano February 9, 2018 at 2:02 pm #

I agree with you!! It’s one of the rules of shooting ” be aware of your target and the area around it.” Getting him away from the officer would the correct thing to do. That you have a clear target and would not be able to disable the officer.

5. AngelFire February 8, 2018 at 5:40 pm #

I agree, essentially, with all above responses. However, any CC’r in this situation must be extremely careful in that when you are convinced the situation is under control, or over, then you must immediately holster your weapon and keep YOUR HANDS VISIBLE to any approaching
    police officers!! When they are rushing the scene and trying to access and make snap judgements you do NOT want them to mistake you for the perp! It has happened before…
    So, word of caution here. Do not be a hero, just smart!

6. David February 8, 2018 at 7:37 pm #

I’d agree with all of you. I think that it is even possible that an anti-gun state would not press charges against you for CCW. (Join the USCCA!)

• Norman February 9, 2018 at 9:44 am #

I wouldn’t suggest you try it in Illinois. In a Heartbeat the police would swoop in, arrest you for carrying and for attempted murder. The law in Illinois, especially around Chicago, is not about allowing citizens to protect themselves and others who may need intervention, it’s about “Power” being retained in the hands of the Politicians. From Rahm Emanuel, the Mayor of Chicago, to the governor it is about control over law-abiding citizens.

7. Professor Lion February 8, 2018 at 7:49 pm #

I would DEFINITELY have assisted the police officer, using deadly force ONLY as a LAST RESORT. I have experienced that in about 98% of cases, the MERE PRESENCE of a firearm is sufficient to dissuade attackers WITHOUT A SINGLE SHOT BEING FIRED. As for plice being wary of anyone with a weapon, if there were any other officers nearby, WHY WEREN’T THEY ASSISTING THEIR FELLOW OFFICER?

8. Frank Taylor February 8, 2018 at 8:17 pm #

I guess that was the politically right thing to say but thank goodness there is a CCW bystander that was willing to take that risk. Who knows what could have happened if the CCW bystander would not have been there

9. Jay Lacson February 9, 2018 at 5:09 am #

I will not 2nd guess what this private citizen did. With that said I tip my hat to him and he showed great restraint by not using deadly force. I do have a problem with the police department stating civilians shouldn’t help. How about you say thank you and be on your way. Sometimes the public information officer needs a smack across the face before they say something stupid like that.

• Mark February 9, 2018 at 4:46 pm #

The reason cops are like that is because they don’t want the conceal carry civilians or other honest people to get hurt or killed. I guarantee that cop that got attacked appreciated the help. It most likely saved his life.

10. MASTERMECH48 February 11, 2018 at 10:48 pm #

No Doubt, I would have assisted the Officer. If the situation had turned with aggressive intentions in my direction, Yes, shoot, shoot, shoot, look is my military combat training. I don’t carry a BIG Magnum, but it holds 31 Mag rounds, with a red dot assist.