Top Menu

Top 5 Best Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permits

The longer we wait for any sort of Constitutional 50-state carry laws to be passed, the more it seems like it won't happen. So, in anticipation of that I thought it to be prudent to speak about the best non-resident concealed carry permit issuers so you can maximize your ability defend yourself with your gun while you travel.

If you were to conduct a quick internet search, you'd find a lot of junk-information out there and some good stuff that isn't as condensed as what we're about to give you. First, a lot of these “best” lists, include states like Tennessee and South Carolina that, while they may be good to have a non-resident concealed gun permit in, you have to adhere to strict rules like owning land there, or having a job there.

If you live in Pennsylvania like I do, you're not driving to TN for work every day. So, to compile this list, I thought I'd only include those states where you can get your permit in the mail without actually having to physically go, or adhere to strict laws. Here are the top 5 best non-resident concealed carry permits that fit those criteria:

Arizona —

How Easy To Get?

Any existing permit or virtually any in-person firearm safety class qualifies. The cost is only $60 sent via mail.

How Wide Reaching is Reciprocity?


There is a reason why Arizona is one of the go-to out of state concealed carry permits for folks like you and I. It's far reaching, as you can see, and easy to get because it can be done by mail. For more information on how you can get your non-resident Arizona CCW, click on that link.

Utah —

How easy to get?

It is easy to get a Utah permit. The biggest thing for many folks is locating a UT certified trainer, which can be located on their website. They do require that extra bit of training, but it can be done in your home state.

How wide reaching is reciprocity?


Utah is a great state to have a non-resident concealed carry permit in, just because of the amount of states you can carry a gun in with it. Check out their website for more info.

Virginia —

How easy to get?

A Virginia non-resident concealed carry permit is likely the easiest one to get on this entire list. While it doesn't offer up as many states as some others on this list, the ease makes up for it. Whereas other states require in-person training, Virginia is different in that it allows you to take your training online, like the class we offer in our store.

How wide reaching is reciprocity?


If you're looking for ease and the ability to take an in-depth internet-based course, Virginia is the best way to go that offers up a decent number of reciprocated states.

Florida —

How easy to get?

Can be acquired by mail, can take up to 90 days to get, and the cost is right around $100.00. Check out this website for more info and to download the application for non-resident Florida concealed carry permit. Florida requires all applicants to submit proof of training.

How wide reaching is reciprocity?


If you find yourself vacationing in Florida from time to time, and many folks do, this is the only non-resident concealed carry permit from this list that is accepted there.

New Hampshire —

How easy to get?

You can acquire your concealed carry permit through the mail if you're a non-resident for the cost of $100. And, as of 2016, you no longer need to prove that you can carry a gun in your home state. This is great for states where you don't have to (or cannot) get your license/permit to carry a gun. Here's more information on non-resident CCW permits for NH.

How far reaching is reciprocity?


The New Hampshire concealed carry permit should likely be a last-resort for you, unless you absolutely need the ability to not prove that you have a permit in your home state. Then again, if you live in one of the north eastern states like MD, NJ, RI, CT, etc., and find yourself traveling to PA on a semi-regular basis, NH is one of only two non-resident states honored by Pennsylvania.

Did I miss anything? Which non-resident states do you have a permit to carry in? Let us know in the comments below.

, , ,

21 Responses to Top 5 Best Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permits

  1. Jacob Paulsen August 14, 2017 at 10:22 pm #

    A great compilation. Since reciprocity changes all the time, (over 70 recorded changes last year alone) its good to also get additional permits just to protect yourself from changes. I have 4 permits currently and 2 of them don’t provide me with any incremental reciprocity at this time… but that could change in any moment and I’m glad to already have the plastic in hand.

  2. Darkwing August 15, 2017 at 7:53 am #

    I do not need governments permission to protect myself. No matter what that protection is.

    • Ric August 16, 2017 at 2:08 pm #

      Your words are good and true, my friend. But as a Las Vegas resident, over the past several years I have seen the LVMPD shoot and kill two veterans who weren’t threatening them at all. One guy was a West Point graduate, reserve Lt Col who had a CCP and was called in to the cops by a Costco cashier who claimed he was brandishing a weapon in the store, when he had just reached for his wallet and she caught a glimpse of his gun. He was shot down in cold blood outside Costco by a trigger happy cop, when he had no weapon in his hand, only a cellphone. The other veteran was off his meds, disoriented and in his car, stopped, unarmed, when he was killed by multiple gunshots for no reason at all. A CCP is protection most of the time, and CCP insurance is recommended also. But I haven’t carried here in LV because I don’t trust ALL of our police officers to do the right thing ALL of the time. Best regards.

  3. Bill August 16, 2017 at 12:06 pm #

    I have a resident CT permit and both a NH and FL non resident permit. Both non resident permits took less than 3 weeks to obtain once paperwork was submitted. When I applied for the NH it required my CT permit. The FL permit required fingerprints and a copy of an NRA certificate of pistol training. It is also surprising as to how many states honor a CT permit but CT does not reciprocate.

    • Heather November 7, 2017 at 2:55 pm #

      Yup, we are in an ass backward liberal would up here in New England. I’m in MA and amazed that i am landlocked with the exception of VT.

  4. JRME August 16, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

    Resident permits issued by the following states will be recognized in Maine, and Maine permits held by Maine residents will be recognized in these states:
    Alaska – Yes (must be 21 or older)
    Delaware – Yes
    Florida – Yes
    Georgia – Yes
    Idaho – Yes
    Kansas -Yes (must be 21 or older)
    Kentucky – Yes
    Michigan – Yes
    Missouri – Yes
    Nebraska -Yes (must be 21 or older)
    New Hampshire -Yes
    Oklahoma – Yes
    Utah – Yes
    Virginia – Yes (must be 21 or older and possess government issued identification)

    • Jacob Paulsen August 16, 2017 at 12:25 pm #

      JRME, Maine doesn’t recognize any non-resident permits so the above maps are accurate on that count. Thanks!

  5. Rod August 16, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

    Please report on Washington resident permit supplemented with an Idaho Enhanced carry permit. It covers Colorado and New Mexico as well…all the western states except Oregon and California.

  6. Chuck August 16, 2017 at 2:33 pm #

    I have Illinois resident and Arizona non-resident. Planning on getting Florida non resident.

  7. Rich August 16, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

    NV has a fairly straight forward non-resident permit process. That state’s permit is recognized by many states.

    • Jacob Paulsen August 16, 2017 at 4:52 pm #

      Rich, I could be wrong but I believe Nevada requires you complete the class in Nevada and apply in person which would disqualify it from our above list.

  8. Milt August 16, 2017 at 4:44 pm #

    So, I filled out the list of resident and non-resident permits, confirmed my subscription and … nothing. Where is my free reciprocity list? Is this a scam to get subscriptions?

  9. Dave August 16, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

    I have a TEXAS non-resident permit (now LTC, or License to Carry). Have had it for about 20 years. It is not easy to maintain this license but it’s good for 5 years now and no intermediate training required. Complete background check and fingerprinting as well as shooting at the range required. Here’s a kicker: last Nov 30, the state of New Mexico, where I have resided for 43 years, made ALL non resident licenses not recognized for New Mexico RESIDENTS. VISITORS from other states with a license and New Mexico reciprocity, may carry for up to 90 days. So New Mexico has rescinded its reciprocity for everybody who lives here. Seems a bit discriminatory to me. There is a small effort to change it back but the Dept of Public Safety is deaf on the matter.

  10. JB September 22, 2017 at 4:29 am #

    Why is the second amendment the only one I have to be licensed to use????

  11. Rosario November 4, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

    So maybe this is a stupid question, but I live in NC…I can carry in almost states. Why would I need a non-resident permint?

    • Jacob Paulsen November 5, 2017 at 8:05 am #

      Rosario, you really don’t need one currently. The NC permit has amazing reciprocity and you really don’t stand to gain anything by adding any of these permits.

  12. Susan December 8, 2017 at 1:43 pm #

    Please correct me if I am wrong. I have a TN Resident CCW, I believe that I have reciprocity in all but 13 states, and it appears that adding any of these Non-Resident permits will not change that. It looks like, even with adding ALL of the 5 above, I still could not legally carry in those same 13 states. Is that right?

    • Jacob Paulsen December 8, 2017 at 2:08 pm #

      You would add the State of Washington which does not honor your TN permit but does honor the UT non-resident permit.

  13. Roger Rose December 11, 2017 at 11:26 am #

    I took the tutorial or training for Virginia , they said I passed . They told me to pay them . I did , it was charged to my credit card . They got the money . That is last I heard from them . This was a few months ago . They got paid , I got squat !

    • Jacob Paulsen December 11, 2017 at 11:34 am #

      Roger, who is “they?” The state doesn’t provide the training so you took it from a private third party. It wasn’t us (at least I couldn’t find an order from your email address in our system). I suggest you dispute the charge on your credit card from whatever company you paid.

Leave a Reply