Maryland School Shooting on March 20th Illustrates 4 Points About Gun Control

Maryland Shooting

On March 20th a 17-year-old student went into a high school in Maryland and fired a semi-automatic handgun injuring two other students, one of whom has passed away from her injuries. Now this might be the first you are hearing of this. The day wasn't over (when Jacob wrote this) but neither The New York Times nor CNN had any mention at all of the story on their website home page and USA Today and NBC News buried it below the fold … apparently not deeming it worthy of “Top News” at the top of their website that day.

Why would the top news organizations of this country completely ignore a school shooting? Because it doesn't fit the agenda.

Let me explain:

Since the Florida school shooting last month the debate over gun control has reached all new heights with even President Trump and the NRA endorsing ideas that previously they wouldn't have entertained.

Everyone wants to “do something” but the country is divided over what we should do. Today's shooting helped us understand better 4 major things we need to know about the issue that is polarizing America.

1: All the Gun Laws You Could Want Won't Stop Gun Violence

Some of you may be tired of hearing this but ultimately no number of laws will stop violence from happening. Maryland is the perfect example of gun control for those who are in favor of greater firearm regulation.

What do you need to know about Maryland:

Assault weapons ban – CHECK

Magazine Capacity Limitation – Anything greater than 10 is illegal CHECK

Universal Background Checks (close the online/gun show loophole) – CHECK

Basically Impossible For Any Citizen to Get A Concealed Carry Permit – CHECK

Despite all these laws being in place in Maryland, a 17-year-old kid accessed a gun and shot at other students. Now you might want to believe that if the laws were laxer, these incidents would happen even more often. The data doesn't support that at all. In fact the data says the opposite … look at the Sandy Hook shooting for another example of tough gun laws and evil happenings.

What you can't deny is that despite all those laws being in place “gun violence” can and will still happen.

2: Age Limitations Don't Matter

Since the Parkland shooting Florida has passed a law to restrict 18, 19, and 20 years old who are otherwise legally able to buy rifles nationwide from doing so in Florida.

Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods have changed store policies to no longer sell rifles to those under the age of 21.

Inherently any of us should understand that prohibiting anyone of any age from purchasing something doesn't mean they won't commit acts of “gun violence.” It would be like believing that since teenagers can't buy alcohol they will never drink.

The Maryland shooter was 17 years old. He used a handgun which is illegal to purchase per Federal law until one is 21 years old.

3: Good Guys With Guns Can Stop Bad Guys With Guns

The news media glossed over the fact that the shooter in the recent Texas shooting was stopped by an armed citizen. Now they are not giving this story attention because the shooter was stopped by a good guy with a gun … before there were any fatalities at all.

Arming good people with guns doesn't guarantee those bad things won't happen. It doesn't guarantee the good guy will be available or willing to act at the right place at the right time. But it does create the opportunity for a good guy to stop a bad guy and we see repeated instances of that happening.

DAILY in this country, good armed citizens stop crimes and save lives with guns.

Teachers shouldn't be required to be armed but I don't understand laws that restrict teachers who are willing, trained, and desirous to be armed.

4: You Think the NRA Is Bad … The Media Is The Real Threat

The NRA is accused of killing kids and being terrorists. The NRA is not a magical human who influences America. It is a lobbying group that is controlled, funded, and empowered by its 5 million members. Without the support of its members, it would cease to exist.

I'm accused often of “believing the false NRA narrative” and “blindly following” the NRA.

The media, on the other hand, is something else entirely. The major print and broadcast media players in the country have clear agendas. They decide what to tell you and how to spin it but nobody ever marched on Washington with signs that say: “Stop CNN From Killing Our Children.”

These media giants not only have an agenda but they also directly profit from tragedy. They push the names of the killers to the top of the news story for weeks to drive better ratings all the while inspiring the next evil lunatic who wants to be famous.

Even I was shocked to find that the Denver Post, LA Times, and Wall Street Journal would have buried the story of a school shooting. If you think they don't have an agenda you are blind. If you think they don't influence your own thinking and opinion then you are naive.

The answer to ignorance is education.

The answer to hate is love.

What do we do next? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

, , ,

8 Responses to Maryland School Shooting on March 20th Illustrates 4 Points About Gun Control

1. Joe Cordero March 26, 2018 at 4:54 pm #

Excellent article, too bad it is buried, not published with the main media. I agree completely that the Media is biased, not publishing balanced news, and frankly, thank God, the Second Amendment needs 38 states to vote against to repeal it. I cannot believe 38 states would vote against the 2nd Amendment if all read and understand that self defense is universal and read the history of the 2nd Amendment to understand why it is one of the most important amendment.

2. tom March 26, 2018 at 5:19 pm #

good story all 100% true cnn msn you are right they are killing our kids and people never talk on it if the nra has 5 mill members y don’t we go out march and march against cnn msn people against the pres O mr. hogg said we to fucken dumb to do anything so i will leave for now in till i get smarter

3. Ron Jenkins March 26, 2018 at 6:21 pm #

Well said Sir. Well said.

4. Mickey C Swindell March 26, 2018 at 7:10 pm #

I believe in 2nd amendment,support of the NRA life time member, a member of USCCA, I will always and for ever support our rights. We need to stand up and let our voice heard. I am and will always continue to have my CHL I live in Texas. I will raise my voice to my governor and state rep. to keep our 2nd amendment as it has always been. It not guns that kill. It is someone with a mental issue that have had a gun in first place. Change the mental health laws and hippi laws and you would slowing stop . 2nd AMENDMENT Liberty or Death- The 2nd Amendment to the United States constitutions to part United states bill of rights that protects a right to keep and bear arms. RELENTLESSLY DEFENDING UNITE OR DIE A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of people to keep and bear arms ,shall not be infringed. This was ratified December 15 th 1791. I stand on this and will always stand on it. DON”T TREAD ON ME. God Blessed America

5. william peter remsen March 26, 2018 at 8:09 pm #

I have a proposal for our friends in the drive-by media-and it is this. We, the American people, give up our guns, if and only if, they give up all their own protection. In other words, be the same as the rest of -just as vulnerable to the criminals as we are.

6. Don Abbott March 27, 2018 at 2:20 am #

These are some of the best replies to an article I’ve read in a long time. My hat off to the

author of this article and those of you that wrote these replies. I live in Oregon and I

have a ccl for Oregon and Washington but I choose to open carry. It makes me sick

every time I see another school shooting as I’m sure it dose all of you. I carry to protect

myself, my family and friends as well as all those around me even if I don’t even know

them. They aren’t jusst trying to take our right to bare arms, but our ability to protect

our way of life.

7. MITCHELL SCHMITZ March 27, 2018 at 8:04 pm #

First of all this is a great article. If people would take the time to read their Bible they would see that the first person ever murdered was killed with a club. You guys and the media keep harping on the mental health issues that deeper back ground checks would be a major solution to the problem at hand. How many people do you think it is walking around with PTSD? We’ve been in a war on two fronts since the attack’s on 911. How many fire fighters, first responders and law enforcement that are currently employed are dealing with PTSD? I can assure you it’s a heck of lot more than they have recorded. As far as myself I am a current member of the NRA and a member of USCCA. I served in Iraq and have 33 years, 3 months and 4 days in the military. The people that are either going and getting help or the ones that have been in the past is not the ones you have to worry about. A person has got to want help before the counseling and medication can do them any good. The people that are being treated by professionals are being closely monitored already. So now you have the untreated. Family members and friends are the ones that can stop this kind of violence from happening in the first place. People do give tell tell signs in advance you just got to know what to look for. Drugs play a big part in the gun violence arena. How many people are there that carry a weapon on them every day that can’t hit a man size silhouette at ten yards? Now if you can’t hit a target when there is no pressure what so ever, how do expect to hit anything when someone is shooting at you or they pull a gun out? If a person wants to one kill their self or two know that they are ready and willing to die in order to inflict harm on others it’s almost impossible to stop them before hand. I as my brothers in arms took an oath to defend the constitution of the United States against foreign and domestic governments. It’s one thing about an oath it’s binding until you take your last breath. I do believe that we need to be heard in every state. It’s time for us to get out of our comfort zone and take a stand in numbers before it is to late. Take a look at these other countries and their gun laws. I’m sure they said the same thing as us and they didn’t believe they would ever take their guns, but they did. We could be headed down that same path. Myself I don’t want to depend on a call to 911 and have it to determine wether I live or die by their response time. You’ve also got to remember the medical personal cannot assist you should you or family member need treatment until the police say it’s safe for them to go in. How much time is that going to take? It’s sad that this is the world we live in. It’s sad that things have gotten to the point that you have to carry to church service in places.

8. yogi Bear March 30, 2018 at 1:07 am #

Nice reply to the article. I am 77 years young. I have been carrying for three and a half years. With my Glock 36 (.45 ACP) I shoot 6 inch.groups at 25 yards four inch groups at 10 yards and at 7 yards I blow a round hole in the middle of the target. I carry every where I go (including into stores that are posted no guns allowed) No store yet has discovered an evil gun in their midst. I believe I live in one of the most anti-gun states in the country the “DPRC” also known as California. Our problem, gun owners and supporters of the Second Amendment, are arguing with fools who have their closed minds made up and no facts, truths or logic gets through to them. But we must not ever give up! It looks like Trump has sold us out. Once more, Guns don’t kill people people kill people. And until the dummies in charge get that, we are going to stay under attack. I train regularly and hope and pray I never have to use deadly force. I believe I will be able to do it. But, until I am faced with the decision I truly do not know. But I AM READY!