Olive Garden Employee Refuses Service to Uniformed Police Officer

When I first saw the headline I thought it was a joke. I know there are a lot of businesses out there that have policies against firearms… anyone who carries concealed is familiar with that reality. I have never heard of a business refusing to serve a law enforcement officer.

Olive_Garden_Italian_Restaurant

Now official statements from Olive Garden suggest that it was all a misunderstanding but what is certain is that the employee had been told they don't allow firearms and had NOT been told that law enforcement was an exception to that policy. Here is what the officer shared on Facebook after he left the restaurant.

Please share this….So I was going to eat lunch with my family today (10-11-2015), we had decided to go to the Olive…

Posted by Michael Holsworth onĀ Sunday, October 11, 2015

Olive Garden is owned by Dearden restaurants, the same company also owns Red Lobster. Here is what we heard from the company:

Rich Jeffers, a spokesperson for Olive Garden, said this type of of treatment is “highly inconsistent” with the chain's business values. He also reported that the company's president, Dave George, apologized to Holsworth and said police officers are always welcome inside their restaurants. –Source

Your thoughts? Please comment below.

, ,

6 Responses to Olive Garden Employee Refuses Service to Uniformed Police Officer

1. jack iloff October 15, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

i find this behavior to be unacceptable ,especially when a man with his family is refused service.

2. keepyourpower October 15, 2015 at 4:18 pm #

Since I used to be a police officer…I have something to say….I would insist to see the manager, immediately. Tell him/her what was said, and demand the person be fired. Until an apology was given..at that moment….I would never return to that restaurant, and let everyone know about the experience.

3. robert October 15, 2015 at 4:56 pm #

Any business that refuses to serve law enforcement is not worth my business.

4. alex r. October 15, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

I am sure the Olive Garden employee who told the Uniformed Police Officer that gun is not allowed is a very narrow minded person whose discretionary remark is plain dull and stupid.
    She or he deserves to be terminated of her/his job.

5. Donald October 15, 2015 at 11:41 pm #

So they say it’s a training problem, and the employee didn’t know that law enforcement is excepted. Fine, I have no problem with that. Since I am not covered by the exception, they might have an objection to my presence. So, I guess I won’t be going there myself or with my family.

6. Thomas October 17, 2015 at 12:28 am #

Sounds like a stupid employee. The owners apologized and said their policy does not extend to uniformed police. Of course any concealed carry gun would not be seen. Anyway this story is just a bit contrived. There is no real story here except for the pitfalls for hiring stupid employees.