Recall of Select FN 502 .22LR Pistols With Manual Safety Issue
FN America, LLC, the U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A issued a recall for a series of their FN 502 pistol chambered in .22 LR. If you own one, please follow the directions to determine if your handgun is affected.
The official recall notice from FN —
FN has become aware of a potential safety issue with certain FN 502 Tactical pistols that were previously the subject of FN’s January 27, 2022 Safety Bulletin. The original concern involved a missing manual safety lock lever in a small number of FN 502 Tactical pistols that would allow the discharge of the pistol when the trigger is pulled with the manual safety in the SAFE position. While investigating this issue with Umarex, the supplier of the FN 502 Tactical, we encountered a separate concern with the proper installation of the manual safety lock lever. Consequently, if forced by multiple pulls of the trigger in succession, or if the pistol is jarred, an unintended firing may happen when the manual safety is in the SAFE position.
Because the safety of our customers is our primary concern, FN is voluntarily issuing a recall to address this newly discovered issue involving the safety and advising all owners of the FN 502 Tactical to suspend use of their pistol and return the pistol to FN for repair or replacement in accordance with the recall instructions below.
Which FN 502 pistols are subject to the recall —
FN 502 Tactical pistols with a serial number lower than LR010300 are subject to this recall.
To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, FN requests that you immediately stop using your FN 502 Tactical pistol with a serial number lower than LR010300.
Returning the FN 502 Tactical to FN —
Note: Please do not ship any affected product to FN until FN has generated and sent to you a return label.
FN is deeply committed to providing customers with the safest, most reliable firearms possible. Patience and cooperation are appreciated as we receive, inspect and service these firearms.
For questions about the safety recall or assistance in returning a firearm, contact the FN customer service team at 1-800-635-1321, ext. 144, or by email at [email protected]. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
FN Answers Common Questions —
- Q: Why is there a safety recall on the FN 502 Tactical?
- A: In certain FN 502 Tactical pistols, the manual safety will initially block the trigger from discharging, as intended. However, if forced by multiple pulls of the trigger in succession, the safety could fail when the manual safety is in the SAFE position.
- Q: How do I know if my FN 502 Tactical is affected.
- A: Please check the serial number on the grip frame circled in the image below. Only FN 502 pistols with a serial number range lower than LR010300 are subject to this safety recall.
- Q: If my FN 502 Tactical needs repair, what will it cost me?
- A: There is no cost to the end-user.
- Q: How long will it take to get my FN 502 Tactical back?
- A: We will return your FN 502 Tactical pistol in the order received, thank you for your patience and understanding as we inspect or service your firearm.
- Q: I already tested my pistol in accordance with the January 27, 2022 safety bulletin and it is fine. Do I still need to return my pistol under this recall?
- A: Yes. This newly-discovered issue is separate from the missing manual safety lock lever issue that was the subject of the original safety bulletin. FN needs to inspect your pistol and determine if it needs retrofit for the manual safety to function properly in the SAFE position.
- Q: What if I choose not to send my FN 502 Tactical in for retrofit.
- A: FN is deeply committed to providing customers with the safest, most reliable firearms possible. As such, it is imperative that you immediately stop using the pistol and send it back to FN for retrofit.
Leave a Comment