Hurricane Harvey Offers No Respite to Crime, Armed Citizens Do

Hurricane Harvey Shootings

Hurricane Harvey is one of the most powerful storms to hit the United States over the last decade. Wind gusts of up to 132 mph blew apart homes and communities, and what the wind didn't destroy the following flood waters made their attempts to wipe out. However, in the process of this destruction, we came to see amazing feats of human kindness and strength as the perseverance and never-say-die attitude of Americans shined through.

While a majority of what we have seen covered on the news has been positive–Texans coming together to help each other out against all odds–there has been a darker side to this as well. As with almost all disasters like this, the self-serving, greedy thieves come out to take from the hard-working Americans who actually deserve what they have.

It's not our job to cover all such stories, but we try to cover those where a gun was used in self-defense. Here are a couple of those stories.

CORPUS CHRISTI

Corpus Christi, TX was one of the first spots to get hammered by Harvey. By August 26th, one day after landfall, Corpus Christi saw 20 inches of rain poured over it. But just as the first torrents of rain were falling on the city, on the 7100 block of Ficus Court, police had just received word that a man had attempted to break into a home in order to loot or steal the items within.

Just imagine that. Days of preparation, fear of the coming onslaught of nature itself and all of your work could be undone by a human that is about to face the same natural wrath that you are.

Now, this is a story that we covered more in-depth at our Texas State Site, but the long and short of it is that this robber did not expect this home to be occupied. That was just the case, however, as the robber attempted to break into the home and make off with loot, but the only souvenir he received was a bullet to the head.

HOUSTON

Now, you would think that this would be a less common occurrence given during a major storm due to everyone's need to save their own skins, but nearly concurrently to the events in Corpus Christi, someone on Houston's 6900 block of Avenue T decided that they would try their luck with looting.

At 3:00 AM as the wind whipped through the city a man attempted to break into the Greater East End home and just like in Corpus Christi, he would leave with nothing but a bullet.

Houston Police's Homicide Division, no doubt wishing to be home with their families were forced to check out this gruesome scene as Harvey gained strength all around them.

THE UNITED STATES

Just as we have done with every disaster and will do with every one in the future, the people of this country will do what we can to survive and to help those who need it. However, we must remain aware that even in these times that we are called to come together and help our fellow person, there will be people who refuse to answer. People who are only out to better themselves no matter whose life it may affect. And these stories have a duty to be talked about, even if they don't match the emotion needed in these times.

We as concealed carriers know that there is a dark side to the world. We don't talk about it all the time because we know it is not our job to bring down everyone's day, but we know that it is there. We know that we need to speak to it at important times because knowing the possibilities allows you to prepare for them and make sure that you and those close to you survive anything.

What do you think of these stories? Had you heard about them before our coverage? Do you think that these stories deserve more airtime in our media? Let us know in the comments below.

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to Hurricane Harvey Offers No Respite to Crime, Armed Citizens Do

1. redscho September 13, 2017 at 8:03 am #

The home owner should get a reward. Half of what it would have cost the taxpayers in prosecute and incarcerate these vermin.

• Rick Houston September 13, 2017 at 8:26 am #

I like the idea of a reward bonus. Save the taxpayers money.

• Sralman308 September 16, 2017 at 10:38 pm #

Darn right! Anytime you can take out the garbage, whether it is for yourself and family or a neighbor who is in need of garbage removal, we need to be ready to assist them in any way possible, usually in these instances it is with lead!

2. J Samford September 13, 2017 at 8:41 am #

It is a fact of life that evil is amung us, and also a fact that some of us prepare for it. We don’t ask for it, but we will meet it with whatever force necessary to stop it. I am prepared to defend my family ( or anyone else) and yes, I do want to hear of others doing the same.

3. THOMAS September 13, 2017 at 9:16 am #

the bible says “the Lord helps those who help themselves” This is NOT what was meant by help themselves ! If you can’t earn it the legal way, you don’t deserve it ! the media doesn’t mention these types of incidents, because it doesn’t further the democrats agenda of destroying America.

4. Anne Allen September 13, 2017 at 9:36 am #

We would have done the same thing! Both my husband and I are licensed to carry. We look at this as both a privilege and necessity in today’s world. I have been shooting since 5 years old and never imagined I would have to carry as an adult but I do now. I hope to never have to use that privilege but can and will to protect what is ours.

5. William Muirhead September 13, 2017 at 9:56 am #

People if you can call them people. Who would steel from someone anytime but especially during a devastating storm deserve exactly what they got. These so called humans are the lowest of all beings, they do not deserve to live, among decent law abiding citizens. No one ever wants to kill another- but these got what they deserve. A bullet to the head is to fast, shoot them in the gut- let them crawl home to die

6. Ric September 13, 2017 at 10:33 am #

I didn’t see it with Harvey but I did see signs in Florida, while waiting on Irma, that read,” If you loot, I will shoot!” I have only an idea of what the law(s) read in such a matter, though, and I am still not 100% clear on this subject as far as shooting an individual trying to rob during a weather event or just robbing through a home invasion type deal. I would definitely put a “If you loot, I will shoot!” sign in my yard. What ARE the clear and defined rules of engagement in such matters?? This is where the state law makers and law enforcement need to make it very, very clear for potential looters that they WILL be shot, if they loot during such events as these hurricanes.

• Jacob Paulsen September 13, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Most states do not allow one to use deadly force in defense of property… regardless the emergency or storm in progress. So it still comes down to fear of one’s life or the life of another like it always does. In fact I’m inclined to say that using a sign like “if you loot, I will shoot” while an effective deterrent it is also likely to provide a prosecutor with a great argument against the homeowner as the homeowner publicly declared their willingness to take life in defense of property which is illegal.

7. Roger Knotts September 13, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

I do not see any thing related to Race. I am from Detroit,MI. and I remember the riots there. It was not whites involved in the looting,stealing or shooting at others unless some one tried to break in.
    There was a Black Security Guard and he brought in two or three other guards to assist him. I felt secure knowing he was watching out for us across the street because he was an honest working man like myself
    so not all are criminal minded. Too many are however.

8. Leo September 14, 2017 at 12:29 am #

I believe that looters and home invaders deserve to be shot! Does not the National Guard usually have standing orders “To shoot all looters on sight”? (Or is this just “Hollywood-ized” movie jargon?) I’ve seen actual newscasts of the National Guard being ordered to shoot looters, (Though it’s NOT broadcast very often nowadays! (BAD P.R. for the anti-gunners!)) As for race, Criminals come in ALL colors! (As do UPSTANDING, HONEST, citizens.) TOO many times career criminals are turned loose because prisons are overcrowded and underfunded. And yet, there are some that are diligently attacking or rights to any kind of self defense! In California, some licensed concealed carry people were arrested for “Brandishing a Weapon” when they tried to use their weapon for self defense! It seesm that criminals have MORE rights than the average law- abiding Citizen!

• LM September 26, 2017 at 9:27 pm #

Yes it is hollywood jargon. Shooting a looter who is only looting is illegal. My dad had a store. And while we certainly would, if able, shot an armed robber with the gun we had under the cash register, because at any point they could decide to kill you or someone else: We would not have shot anyone for just stealing, and who was not presenting a direct threat even though in a small business it really is money right out of your pocket.

the issue with looting and being wise to have a firearm when it is going around, is that this means law enforcement is strained or failing. Police response times means even under normal circumstances it is a good idea to be armed. In situation where you see looting, both the effectiveness of law enforcement is reduced, and there is a general lawlessness that can escalate.

Now of course home invasion looting is different. that to me is a situation that would likely be threats that are imminent, unlawful and unavoidable.

The thing about these natural disasters in florida and Texas is that a) everyone owns a firearm and this certainly reduced lawlessness, and b) the level of loss of law enforcement was short duration.

If it happened in New York or Baltimore, the first day everyone would be saying “Hey it is great that there is no nasty criminal response,” — but if it went four days 90% of law abiding citizens would be saying: “where can I get a gun to protect my family?”