Enhanced Permits and Their Role in Concealed Carry Reciprocity

In this country there are many states who require little to no training in order to obtain a concealed handgun permit. While this increases the number of people who have permits in those states; it also puts those permit holders at a disadvantage when it comes time to cross state lines.

States Often Choose What Permits to Honor Based on Training Requirements

We all know that since the birth of our country, the states have been viewed as their own entities, even if they are united together under one star-spangled banner. This means that each state's laws are going to be a little bit different with regard to pretty much anything. Look at the legalization of recreational marijuana for example. In some states it is perfectly fine to walk into a store and purchase it, but in many others it could land you with some serious jail time.

But this isn't about marijuana. This is about your right to carry concealed, and while the second amendment allows you to bear arms, different states have different rules about how you can bear those arms. There are many different stances around the country regarding the level of training that state governments feel is necessary to carry concealed.

That being said, there are some ways for you to enhance your travel range with your concealed carry permit. In several states, such as Idaho, Mississippi, and the Dakotas you can of course receive your standard residential concealed carry permit, but that will only get you so far. If you are a resident of these states you can also apply for an enhanced concealed carry permit. This permit will allow you to get more places, as it combines your typical concealed carry class with hands on firearms training, thus making it more appealing to state governments, allowing more doors to be open.

Let's take Idaho for example. The map on the LEFT is a map for someone in Idaho who has the basic resident concealed carry permit. As you can see, there is quite a bit of red on the map, and unfortunately for Idahoans many of the states are on their border. However, let's take a look at the improvement that comes about when someone receives the Idaho enhanced permit (Map to the RIGHT).

basic and enhanced conealed carry permits reciprocity


And just like that, five additional states are added to the A-OK list.

Having Two Different Classes of Permits Allows the Best of Both Worlds

So if you live in a state where it is an option; there is nothing blocking you from getting one of these enhanced permits or obtaining additional permits from other states that issue permits to non-residents. All an enhanced permit really takes to receive is a little bit more in-depth training, and firearms safety. Not all states are yet offering these enhanced permits, and even with an enhanced permit there are still some states around the country which still will not allow concealed carry. However, what is clear, is that if the opportunity is within your area, it's a good idea to add on the enhanced permit, especially if you want to keep yourself safe and do some traveling out of state.

The Easiest Way to Research What States Honor What Permits

Now it is apparent that the system that's currently in place still does have its shortcomings, but it is what we as gun owners are forced to deal with and with all of the changes that can occur every time you cross a state border, you need to plan accordingly. There is a lot to know and a little bit of studying can go a long way, and is a much better and much shorter use of your time than suffering through the legal system. That is why, we here at USA Firearm Training have developed a handy Concealed Carry Reciprocity Map Builder so that you can take a look at what states accept your concealed carry permit, as well as what states you would need to get a non-resident permit in order to bring your concealed carry firearm with you, when you visit. It's what we used in this article to show you the differences state to state and we've worked to make the map's setup as simple and user-friendly as possible. All you need to do is put in the state, in which you have a residential concealed carry permit, whether or not you have the enhanced version, as well as any non-residential permits you may have, and the map will populate with where you can travel to without incident. Just remember, for the map, red means no and green means go.

Happy and safe travels.

About Jacob Paulsen

Jacob S. Paulsen is the President of ConcealedCarry.com. ConcealedCarry.com provides in-person and online firearm training for American gun owners. The Company is currently teaching in-person classes in 25+ states with a team of more than 55 instructors. Jacob is a NRA certified instructor & Range Safety Officer, USCCA certified instructor and training counselor, Utah BCI instructor, Affiliate instructor for Next Level Training, Graduate and certified instructor for The Law of Self Defense, and a Glock and Sig Sauer Certified Armorer. He resides in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado with his wife and children.


  1. Mike Loecher on September 2, 2016 at 10:48 pm

    In your map could you please add for states that have non full carry or restricted carry licenses? I have a sportsmen in Suffolk County NY which is a restricted carry license & I can carry like anyone else, loaded & concealed however I must be going to the range or an gun event basically. Your map is EXTREMELY helpful & MUCH appreciated btw!

    • Jacob Paulsen on September 2, 2016 at 10:50 pm

      Mike, thanks for the suggestion. That will take a little research for sure… Mostly a problem that is isolated to NYC I think but we will dig more into it.

  2. Thomas on October 25, 2017 at 4:34 pm

    I live in Suffolk also and taking the Utah class soon at DSI along with Florida Concealed Carry

  3. Rob Fraser on November 8, 2019 at 10:37 am

    Some sites are stating that Louisiana only recognizes enhanced conceal carry license from Idaho, however, other sites like this one is showing Louisiana recognizing basic conceal carry license. Which one is correct?

    • Jacob Paulsen on November 8, 2019 at 11:22 am

      Here is a link to the Louisiana State Police website where they list that they honor permits from Idaho. Nothing there that suggests they are selective in any way about which Idaho permits they honor. http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip

  4. Savannah Breaux on April 15, 2020 at 3:20 pm

    I plan to get my enhancement this year when I renew my wccl.l have been carrying since 2010 and have not had to use it.i did get close a couple of times but,was able to get out of it.i have military and law enforcement in me,so i think that would be a plus.god bless all.
    Savannah Breaux.

  5. John Funghini on February 27, 2023 at 3:58 pm

    Jacob. I have a CWP in South Carolina. Can I get an Enhanced Permit in this State?

    • Jacob Paulsen on February 27, 2023 at 4:03 pm

      No. South Carolina doesn’t have an enhanced permit at this time. Just the one permit.

  6. Early on March 23, 2023 at 11:16 am

    If a state is listed as full reciprocity and you have an enhanced carry, does that mean you can carry in all the additional places that your enhanced state allows in another state?

    • Jacob Paulsen on March 23, 2023 at 4:06 pm

      No it does not mean that.

  7. Luis on March 30, 2023 at 2:58 pm

    What is an enhanced CCW permit? Compared to basic CCW permit?

  8. Larry on April 1, 2023 at 2:56 pm

    Does texas offer an enhanced CCP?

    • Jacob Paulsen on April 3, 2023 at 2:57 pm


  9. Bob Wittenberg on April 20, 2023 at 12:30 pm

    Interesting map…reflects District of Columbia’s okay with Enhanced Conceal Carry…was under the impression all weapons were illegal there…to include a compound bow.

    • Matthew Maruster on April 20, 2023 at 12:47 pm

      Thanks for the comment Bob. I’m not sure which map you’re referring to. The particular map image in the article is from 2015, even so, both maps show DC in red. I know the letters are small, could you be mistaking DE for DC?

  10. Shonne Glatte on May 13, 2023 at 2:33 pm

    Has anyone flown with a weapon? Whats the process for that? Or is that up to the airlines? I have the Eccw and would like to know because my next project maybe in Washington(west coast)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Leave a Comment