NRA VS USCCA: What’s The Real Issue At Hand?

USCCA VS NRA

USCCA VS NRA

After stating concerns over USCCA's “programs,” the NRA rescinded the United States Concealed Carry Association's invite to the NRA's Annual meetings taking place this week in Atlanta, Georgia. I know, old news, right? What if I told you that this isn't the first time something like this has happened?

A little known fact about me, is that I used to work for a company called US Law Shield. It is essentially a membership program that mimics a firearms insurance service. They also offer up access to attorneys and have gun law classes at uber cheap prices. It’s a good service, and I’m still a member. It's sort of like USCCA, but is different in that it isn't exactly “insurance.”

That part isn't incredibly important, but it'll all make sense in a moment  …

Being that I live in Pennsylvania, and the NRA’s Great American Outdoor Show is also in Pennsylvania, one year we figured that we could potentially teach a class at the show in addition to setting up a booth. There would have been a benefit to everyone involved. We would get some new members and give them the benefit of having access to a practicing firearms attorney, while the NRA would have gotten more educated gun owners into the firearms world.

We thought for sure it was a win/win, but were told that we could not teach any classes at the NRA event, and, as far as I can remember, weren't given a reason why.

They allowed us to have a booth, but we were limited in what we were allowed to do. Keep in mind that US Law Shield, with the help from the McShane Firm, was suing Harrisburg for their shoddy and unconstitutional gun laws at the same time the NRA was suing several other cities in the commonwealth.

Our attorneys were in collaboration with theirs, so we thought it strange they wouldn't allow us to teach gun law classes. We found out later on that they were teaching classes, very similar to what we wanted to do, and that they likely did not want to have any competition.

It seems as though the same thing is happening with USCCA. They've been disinvited, and now the reason why is evident. NRA just announced a new program called Carry Guard, which will have extensive training, an insurance-based program should you ever need your weapon in self-defense, and even a new print magazine that'll look similar to USCCA's Concealed Carry.

It sure does seem that it's less about the their “programs” and more about them just not wanting the extra competition around.

While I don’t like the fact that they do things like this, and it's clearly not the first time they've done so, it's their choice. After all, it is their show and I suppose they can do whatever they want with it.

Their name is on the event, the marketing material, and the money that’s paying for it, and they’re therefore allowed to have whomever they want to attend even though the correct attitude from NRA should be, “ya know what? We're all in this together. What's a little competition between friends when we are all better for it in the long run?”

Gun owners all over the country and the Second Amendment as a whole benefit from competition like this. Here's an example: Can you imagine how expensive guns would be if there was only one company making them? We see it with ammunition all the time. If only one ammo company makes a specific cartridge, they can charge whatever they want for it until someone else steps up and begins production, and, ultimately, driving the price down.

While I believe that it is the NRA's show and they can invite whomever they want, I also think that it helps everyone out if the USCCA is able to bring new people into gun ownership. Wouldn't the NRA be thrilled about that? After all, there are many folks, gun owners and not, who despise the NRA and may never get involved simply because when they hear the word “gun” their mind drifts to the gun-lobbying NRA.

Right or wrong, some people just view that organization as the evil.

It's my opinion that we are all better off if one hand washes the other. Or, if I wash your back so you can wash mine. The NRA should not view anyone as their competition, but as a helping hand offering more options to get people involved. The true competition are those who would strip us of our gun rights and repeal the Second Amendment. Our competition should not be each other, but the anti-gunners.

What's your take? Do you support the NRA's decision? Do you feel USCCA's pain? Let us know in the comments what you think, and if you feel like there's any way for them to come together.

37 Responses to NRA VS USCCA: What’s The Real Issue At Hand?

1. L. Mills April 25, 2017 at 7:53 pm #

Yep. That about covers it. NRA misstep!

• Peter Bernacchi April 27, 2017 at 11:46 am #

Competition is the American way

2. Bill Hines April 25, 2017 at 8:37 pm #

After reading Tim Schmidt’s response to the NRA disenfranchisement of USCCA, I would appreciate NRA’s explanation of their position.

Having met with the very honorable NRA Director of Federal Affairs, Charles Cunningham, several years ago, I would especially appreciate his point of view.

I am able to contact Chuck via email if there is an interest.

• Tim April 26, 2017 at 6:20 am #

Bill – Yes, I would definitely like to hear what he has to say and bypass all our speculation.

3. RogueSGT April 26, 2017 at 6:44 am #

I have felt for a long time that the NRA is no longer an organization that truly represents the interest of the people.

They are in bed with too many corrupt people in DC and this behavior is an example. The NRA is a vehicle for gun control compromise due to their overiding interest in their political and corporate relationships.

Their biggest failure has been their contributions to the misconception that open carry is crazy. SCOTUS has opined that open carry is protected by the 2nd Amendment and that conceal carry is not. Pushing conceal carry is a setup for failing in the end.

Like it or not, unless Trump can really drain the swamp, the fight for freedom will eventually result in civil conflict.

4. jon April 26, 2017 at 12:43 pm #

NRA is wrong on this one I WOULD NOT BUY THEIRS FOR THIS REASON !!!!!!!!!!

5. Mark Anderson-First Shot KS April 26, 2017 at 2:00 pm #

I became a USCCA Instructor because after reviewing the NRA courses I have found that the USCCA course is more polished and more informative. The last class we had was 50% women. Women are the fastest growing demographic in the conceal carry arena. The NRA Carry Guard has militarized their director staff with Special Forces which is fine, but not everyone wants to go to boot camp again. The NRA has gone to E-Learning which severely cuts down on person to person time especially with new shooters. Bad idea.
    News Flash NRA— All of the organizations you banned (dis-invited) from your annual meeting supported the NRA with money and ad time during the election. I always believed the NRA was a unifying force. It appears I was wrong. The NRA has taken a lesson from the Democratic Party and learned how to divide and conquer amidst their own ranks. Since the NRA is scared of competition I predict the gun grabbers will have a hay-day.

P.S. In the USCCA classes we never say anything to disparage the NRA. We still support them. Maybe they will see the example we set and have a change of heart.

• Chris-ConditionedResponse.us April 26, 2017 at 3:52 pm #

Mark – Awesome reply. Your first sentence describes exactly why I am a USCCA instructor. Hope to cross paths down the line. I am in Minnesota, do you have a website?

• Mark Anderson-First Shot KS April 28, 2017 at 8:11 am #

Hi Chris!
        I am in with a small group of instructors. FirstShotKs.com is the web site.

Thanks

Mark A

• Rayvon Strickland April 28, 2017 at 8:28 am #

I just purchased at uscca insurance but I cannot find anyone who has actually used the insurance can you provide reviews on that subject.

• Jacob Paulsen April 28, 2017 at 9:05 am #

I’m aware of 3 situations from the last 24 months that are noteworthy… IE an attorney was actually hired because serious charges were filed. USCCA was true to it’s claims and took care of those people.

• Stinger April 28, 2017 at 4:50 pm #

Josh – Nice article!!!!

Mark – Nice reply!!!!

Here is my take. Josh says, “Their name is on the event and it is their money that is paying for it”. Before it became their money, some of it was mine.The NRA actions were very unethical and I did not expect this from them. I always held them in high regard and though I am on a fixed income, I donated as often as I felt I could afford. Not any more. I called them on Monday about this subject and they played very dumb and had no official reply from Management. I gave them a week to reply to me. Next Monday I will be cancelling my NRA membership and asking for a refund for the unused portion!!!! Sorry, I do not associate with people or organizations acting like they have with the USCCA!!

• jerry May 3, 2017 at 6:26 am #

i am an nra instructor because the massachusetts state police get to dictate what training
      is approved in my state,uscca is not one of them,i pay Uscca 30.00 a month for the 1.1 million dollar insurance coverage ,its awesome and if you think nra insurance is good read the fine print,,,only if your aquited or found not guilty,,so if you are found quilty by a liberal judge or jury i quess they dont pay…..what are your thoughts

• Jeff May 22, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

If I’m not mistaken, the USCCA insurance says the same thing. I’m shopping right now and am researching both.

• Jacob Paulsen May 22, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

The USCCA used to have that stipulation. I don’t believe it does anymore since they switched to a pay upfront model. If you discover otherwise please let us know.

6. Johnny April 26, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

I agree with all of the above. The NRA should stick to what they do best (or what they started out to do), lobby congress and support court cases to fight for our 2nd Amendment rights. When they start to want to be the one stop shop so to speak, they start to sound like that other large organization called the US Government.

I am a life member of the NRA and I am also a member in good standing with USCCA and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon. I am also a member of several other large organizations plus my local state organization. We are all in this fight together and we need all the help we can get.

Where I get my training and buy my insurance is totally up to me and no one else.

7. thomas spell April 27, 2017 at 12:22 am #

I will still maintain my NRA membership,although disappointed with their action against the USCCA.After all most uscca members are probably nra members too.Is this the best for we the people,or just nra’s profit line?

8. Scott April 27, 2017 at 7:34 am #

I’m a Veteran, USCCA member and an NRA member. I joined both organizations to give as much support as I could to 2nd amendment protection. With the current rift between moderate and conservative republicans creating division in our new administration, I hope this situation between USCCA and the NRA will not create a similar rift between 2nd amendment supporters. “We the people”, were victorious in placing the current administration in office. “We the people”, give organizations like the NRA their strength. If this conflict comes down to monetary gain or economic competition, “we the members”, may be seeing a change in OUR organization. I sincerely hope that the NRA and all other pro 2nd amendment organizations can fight side by side to give their members the kind of representation and voice that our Founding Fathers hoped we would have as citizens of this great country. In essence, “we the people”, must be vigilante and vocal. This is our country and these are our organizations. It’s time to use the collective power of our voice to correct the path!!

9. william yamnitz April 27, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

In my opinion USCCA insurance is far better coverage that the NRA Carry Guard, I will stick with USCCA. I believe it was a big mistake for the NRA to ban USCCA from their convention, you have to wonder just what are they afraid of.

• RICHIE HARRIS April 30, 2017 at 9:04 am #

Mr. Yamnitz:
      I am a member of USCCA (also NRA) at the top level of their membership, primarily to have the best insurance coverage. Apparently you have been able to do some research to come up with the opinion that USCCA has superior coverage.
      I would be quite grateful if you would be willing to share your findings with me. If you wouldn’t mind sending me an email, my email address is [removed by admin]
      Many thanks.

• Jacob Paulsen May 1, 2017 at 8:53 am #

Richie, I took out your email address as per our privacy policy. Later today we will be publishing an article comparing the two memberships in detail. Look out for that on our home page!

10. Liston Mallard April 27, 2017 at 11:59 pm #

Uscca was there for me before nra came up with their carry guard program. Costs and benefits will help my decision on next year’s membership in an insurance and training program. My only concern now is that nra window sticker stays in place much longer than the uscca sticker, which fell off a week after applying it to my rear window on my pu truck. My platinum membership in uscca is good until December 2017.

11. Ed Pilkington April 28, 2017 at 7:29 am #

Scott, I fear this is no longer “our organization”. I have watched it grow very big and corporate and now it is self protective. It could be interesting to see a budget sheet with salaries and projects. There needs to be a level of transparency and communication that allows us some voice in the decision making of such matters as these. The NRA could have been a leader in the support for all CC members by opening their doors and having a division strictly for this specific need. After all they are THE NRA!

• Scott April 28, 2017 at 4:19 pm #

Ed, I agree completely with your desire for transparency with regard to the NRA’s actions that may not be privy to the members. I feel that it’s time to increase our member oversight of OUR organization before it begins to mimic the political norms in Washngton that we have become fed up with. I think we may have caught this before it has become out of control. I will definitely be present and vocal, as a member, from now on.

12. GaryH April 28, 2017 at 9:44 am #

I a a new member of USCCA and a Benefactor member of the NRA. I also worked for Intel Corp for 25 years, Intel was a master in dominating the computer industry by making the core (Microprocessor) ingredient while building the most robust ecosystem around that core. That ecosystem was a hugely competitive marketplace and everyone was welcome in building out the products and services for that market.

I am disappointed in the NRA using their dominant position as a lobby / legislative action position to “destroy” competition in the gun ownership, gun rights ecosystem. They ought not bully the ecosystem but instead should welcome innovation, products and solutions that derive from the ecosystem and let competition flourish.

NRA will soon hear from me and hopefully they will understand their misstep and consider building a more welcoming, competitive and robust marketplace for gun owners and gun rights.

In the meantime I choose to remain a USCCA platinum member and recommend USCCA to everyone who cares about protecting their ass-sets while exercising their Constitional rights and the right of self defense.

13. Jake Adams April 28, 2017 at 5:09 pm #

THERE IS ONE BIG REASON NOT TO GET NRA/LICKTON CARRY GUARD AND GO WITH USCCA SHIELD

Ok.. It’s terrible and you have to use your gun to defend yourself. You call 911 and then either NRA Carry Guard or Shield.

First thing you need… Bail Money
    Second thing you need… Money for your defense (Will probably total $30-$50,000 easy)

The NRA Carry Guard only gives you 20% of your coverage in advance and that includes the bail money. The USCCA Shield gives you access to the full coverage amount right away so you can pay lawyers to retain them and during the trieal which they WILL require.

The remaining 80% due from Carry Guard is contingent upon a NOT GUILTY verdict.
    Not true for Shield!

The entire purpose for me of having this insurance is to deal with bail and legal expenses primarily. Having additional civil coverage is certainly important too because no matter what, there will be some civil payout in most cases. (Regardless if you are right or wrong)

14. Jake Adams April 28, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

THERE IS ONE BIG REASON NOT TO GET NRA (LOCKTON) CARRY GUARD AND GO WITH USCCA SHIELD

First thing you need… Bail Money

The NRA Carry Guard only gives you 20% of your coverage in advance and that includes the bail money. The USCCA Shield gives you access to the full coverage amount right away so you can pay lawyers to retain them and during the trial which they WILL require. Lawyers get paid when they work.

The remaining 80% due from Carry Guard is contingent upon a NOT GUILTY verdict.
    NOT true for Shield!

The primary purpose for me of having this insurance is to deal with bail and legal expenses. (I dont have the reserves to outlay $30-$50k after arrest and to get through trial) Having additional civil coverage is certainly important too because no matter what, there will be some civil payout in most cases. (Regardless if you are right or wrong)

15. Clay Neal April 29, 2017 at 6:33 am #

Ed,
    ” self protective” is exactly what we are seeing here. I’m afraid that OUR organization is starting to believe it is more important then the sum of its parts. We are fighting ( and maybe finally gaining ground) another organization, the US Government, that this very issue happened to and if we want to preserve NRA we must nip this in the bud.

16. Mark R April 29, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

The NRA should welcome USCCA . I’m a member of both. They and other organizations have a common cause and need to stick together.

17. Warren May 2, 2017 at 3:01 pm #

I don’t see any NRA responses…did I miss them?

• Ron M Neff May 3, 2017 at 9:03 am #

I called the NRA to cancel my membership because of the way they have treated the USCCA.
      I have been a member of both for many years and have both stickers side by side on my truck’s rear window. The NRA won’t let you cancel by phone; they need a letter which is even better. I did not remove the NRA sticker but instead put a piece of black electrical tape across it like police do their badges in protest or in mourning. It has all become an issue of the bottom line for the NRA and from now on they will not get another dime out of me.

18. Larry Kelley May 5, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Clearly the NRA must realize their protection plan is not equal to or superior to USCCA and does not want the competition around. This is not the American way and as a life member I am embarrassed that the NRA would take this position and I hope they change their position or at least explain honestly why they made the decision to disinvite the USCCA.

19. Doug May 7, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

It appears the NRA has become the bloated political organization many voted against last November. Greed is driving this decision made by the NRA. Shame on them. Won’t renew my membership.

20. Mark Manno May 15, 2017 at 6:00 am #

I have been a life member of the NRA since I was 12 and now I’m 63 and never would of believed that the NRA would not allow a reputable organization like USCCA to participate in their show. The NRA should embrace all who support the 2nd amendment! USCCA, in all that I have read of them, does that through responsible training of gun owners and provides a good service through their insurance plans.
    To all that want to renounce their NRA memberships I say DO NOT but instead voice your concerns to the NRA leadership and if they fall on deaf ears…. well we voted Obama out so you get the picture…Thx

21. Scott May 15, 2017 at 2:48 pm #

Interesting Discussion. As an NRA member and someone who was looking at USCCA coverage for personal reasons, I am angered that the NRA would kick out any #2A supporter from its convention regardless if they are now a direct competitor or not. As a Financial Planner who has clients that carry I will now have to take a much closer look at coverage specifics regarding the policies as well as the training before making a recommendation to my clients regarding who they should spend their valuable insurance premium dollars with.

22. Karl May 16, 2017 at 3:42 pm #

I am shocked on the NRA actions. As a member of both organizations (NRA Endowment) and USCCA (5yr+) I consider it a slap in the face of the USCCA and just as important us NRA members that are USCCA members.

Will be in the back of my mind when requests for future NRA donations arrive.

NRA – SHAME ON YOU !

23. Charles Norton May 17, 2017 at 11:32 am #

Though I’m a long time permanent member of the NRA, for more than a few years I’ve been disgusted by their assurances that THEY are the only organization leading the 2nd Amendment battle. There’s a lot of ego involved, as well.

I’m also a fan of Front Sight, the training group with a 20+ year history and a sensation location just outside Vegas. They’ve got 50 ranges and a superb staff. Well worth checking them out for training.