JUSTIFIED: Arizona State Trooper Life Saved by Concealed Carrier

3eff1d7d87e04e15a30355821d462be7

The Arizona Department of Public Safety is investigating after a trooper was shot during a response call near Tonopah, 50 miles west of Phoenix early last Thursday morning. The incident occurred after 4 a.m. on westbound Interstate 10 west of Tonopah.

According to DPS Col. Frank Milstead, a citizen called to report that their vehicle was being shot at from the median near milepost 81 on I-10.

A trooper that was in the area had just left another traffic stop to investigate the call when he came upon a rollover crash near milepost 89. He saw a woman there, who had been ejected from the crash and began working to block lanes.

At that time, according to the Arizona DPS, the trooper was “ambushed” by a suspect who came from an unknown direction. The suspect shot the trooper at least once in the chest-shoulder area and fought the trooper to the ground.

Two passersby then stopped to render aid and the trooper shouted for help. Officials say it was at that point one man went back to his car, grabbed a gun and shot at the suspect who was not following his commands to stop attacking the trooper. The suspect was killed at the scene.

A second man, Scottsdale resident and former medic Brian Schober, helped stabilize the trooper and asked where his radio was located to call for help.

Schober and the other man watched over the suspect to make sure he wasn't going to harm anyone else.

“If he would have tried to stand up, he would have been shot again,” Schober said.

He also explained that God put him and the other Good Samaritan “in the right place at the right time.”

DPS Col. Milstead stated a message for the motorist who shot the suspect and called on the trooper's radio for help.

“Thank you,” Milstead said, “because I don't know if my trooper would be alive today without his assistance.”

So, once again, a heroic tale of being in the right place, at the right time, with the right tools for the job.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to JUSTIFIED: Arizona State Trooper Life Saved by Concealed Carrier

1. Brian Falls January 29, 2017 at 12:54 pm #

These are the kind of stories that I always love to read about. A good guy with a gun takes out a bad guy with a gun. And in the end, one of our law enforcement officers gets to go home to his loving family. Guaranteed this one didn’t make it into the lame stream propaganda machines headlines. For me I say way to go to that good Samaritan!

• Jerry Hewes August 25, 2017 at 8:47 am #

Good remarks there, Brian Falls… I’ve been open-carrying for like 4 years now… I do have my permit also, but like open carrying.

2. Ron Ploeger January 29, 2017 at 3:44 pm #

Believe GOD is watching over us.

• Mike August 31, 2018 at 12:31 am #

Sure thank your sky fairy when it was humans who did all this

3. Thomas J. Benson July 6, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

Despite the circumstances I’m grateful to hear that the officer will be okay. I believe that we have to keep in mind law enforcement agencies across the globe are first human beings. I am a former law enforcement officer and many times you have to respond to situation no one else will or want to for that matter with limited information. I am grateful to GOD someone who risk there own lives to help another. GREAT JOB.

4. Jesus July 6, 2017 at 5:43 pm #

It’s good to hear that the state trooper is alive and back to his family thanks to a good guy .Once again you can see that CCW permit should be nationwide .No more States banning people from other States to CCW .You never know when a CCW permit holder is gonna be there to save you

5. Donald Wasielewski August 25, 2017 at 8:39 am #

Tis is the kind of stuff anti-gun legislature’s Need to take a look at here is a police officer potentially getting ready to die with a concealed carry citizen saves his life because he’s carrying a firearm once again it shows that guns don’t kill people, people kill people or people save people with firearms in this case the trooper’s life was saved..

6. Joe Moddie October 16, 2017 at 5:42 pm #

This is great news to read about. To have helped out a law enforcement officer that puts his life on the line every day for others is wonderful.

7. David Sedlacek February 16, 2018 at 9:51 pm #

Good job!

8. Donald Wasielewski November 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm #

The Trooper should thank his lucky stars that a citizen had the common sense to pull over and help the trooper, I would’ve done the same thing.

9. Dee November 17, 2018 at 11:24 am #

So great job… BUT let me ask you this… if it weren’t a LEO (law enforcement officer) that was in need and just another citizen do you think the outcome of being justified would have been the same? Chew on that because I believe to my core that the answer would be NO! Don’t get me wrong… I’m glad to hear the LEO got to go home to his family but I don’t think it would have been the same ie. the bad guy may have been killed but then when a LEO did arrive it would have been shoot first & ask questions later…unfortunately.

• Melissa April 8, 2019 at 4:58 pm #

You are incorrect. I am guessing you are not a concealed or open carry trained citizen. There are procedures that you take, if you have to have out your firearms, and law-enforcement pulls/shows up. This is the same thing you would do if you were in your home, holding a gun to an intruder and the police showed up. Better you should not own a firearm if you don’t know what to do. I am an open and conceal carry person, and I have no qualms about law-enforcement shooting me. I also take offense at the fact that you assume law-enforcement will shoot you, before finding out whether you are a criminal or not. That is just naïve, too much television for you.

10. Martha Edin January 28, 2019 at 3:18 pm #

Didn’t see this in the lame stream media.