We promote a self-defense strategy that begins with a proper mindset of awareness and avoidance. Unfortunately, avoidance isn't always possible, and when de-escalation is ineffective or impractical, we can make the mistake of thinking our everyday carry (EDC) handgun is the solution. Without question, a handgun is a fantastic tool in some self-defense situations, but certainly not ALL of them.
We need to develop other skills to defend against an attack at a close distance. Unfortunately, even though most of us know this reality, many still fail to grow in this area.
For this reason, our friend and instructor, Matt Numrich, has produced an 11-part video training program on Close Quarter Defensive Tactics. Today, we will share one of the videos from that series below, but please note, the entire course is available now for Guardian Nation Members.
You can learn more about the benefits of being a Guardian Nation Member here.
Combatives instructor Matt Numrich produced this 11-part course, only available in its entirety to Guardian Nation members. Today, we will bring you a special preview of Numrich's online course, Close Quarters Defensive Tactics.
The first lesson addresses gun disarms, involving the retention of handguns and long guns. As a teaser, Numrich identifies the steps to gun disarms as:
A gun disarm is a high-risk action best used in specific circumstances. Like any other self-defense technique, it should involve a simple process that we can perform under stress, not just at half-speed with a compliant attacker.
As you will see when viewing this lesson, the course requires active, physical participation. Therefore, getting a buddy or family member to take the class along with you would be ideal. This way, you have a person with whom you can go through the repetitions.
To get the most of the gun disarms and future lessons, it would help to have an inert training gun. So what I recommend is a dedicated training aid, something like this rubber replica of the popular Beretta 92 handgun. It is colored bright yellow to ensure everyone knows it is a training aid and not a live gun.
As I mentioned, this 11 part video course is available for free to members of Guardian Nation.
SPECIAL BONUS: Right now Matt Numrich is offering a special free DVD to our readers. You can claim a copy of Matt Numrich's Krav Maga online training course for free (just pay shipping and handling). Some of the topics covered in the course include:
- A specialized hand strike which will drop any attacker who gets hit in this unguarded target
- Devastating self-defense move, perfect for the street, and showed three different ways to cover different kinds of attacks
- .How to “strike low” when an attacker outside your peripheral vision attacks you
- Discover a defensive and offensive kick that will move a guy back ten feet while letting all those around you know that you mean business
- Learn how to defend yourself if pushed or knocked down to the ground
- Find out the three-step defense technique to counter anyone who chokes you on the ground in the scariest position!
- The FIVE key elements of effective self-defense training, so you can learn these moves quickly and defend yourself even faster
- Find out how to quickly get out of a common ground position, which takes MMA champs years to learn! You'll learn a better way in seconds!
- The best fighting stance, which mimics what the body naturally does to defend itself and will help your moves become like second nature
- A dominant defensive position that will control your opponent and position them for incredible and brutal follow up strikes after they try to attack you