Top Menu

West Virginia Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State West Virginia West Virginia Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #83961

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue

    Issuing Authority: Your Local Sheriff in the City or County you reside in.

    Required Training: You must complete a firearms training course that involves live fire of the gun.

    How to Apply: You can apply at your local Sheriff’s Office in the City or County you reside in.

    Non-Residents: West Virginia does not issue permits to Non-Residents.

    Renewal: You must renew your permit every 5 years.

    Processing Time: Up to 45 days.

    Cost: The cost for a West Virginia permit will be $75 plus a $15 fee if you are approved.

    Change of Address: You are required to fill out a Change of Address Form and turn it into the state of West Virginia.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: No

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    The grounds of any jail, state correctional facility, juvenile facility or juvenile detention center, unless specifically authorized by the authorities in control of the facility (W.Va. Code § 61-5-8(c)) Primary or secondary school property (W.Va. Code § 61-7-11a(b)) School buses (W.Va. Code § 61-7-11a(b)) Primary or secondary school-sponsored functions or events (W.Va. Code § 61-7-11a(b)) Courthouses (W.Va. Code § 61-7-11a(g)) Anywhere on the State Capitol Complex, including the grounds outside the buildings (W.Va. Code § 61-6-19(b)) Wherever signs are posted indicating weapon restrictions or where notice has been given by other means. (W.Va. Code § 61-7-14) However, a person is not subject to the misdemeanor penalty provided for a violation of any such restriction unless that person refuses to either leave or temporarily relinquish his or her weapon, upon being confronted about the violation. The city hall, municipal auditorium, the civic center, and all parks and recreation buildings ad facilities, including recreation centers, playgrounds, swimming pools, dressing areas, tennis courts, parks and recreation areas and all other buildings, structures, facilities, and grounds thereof, owned or occupied by the City of Charleston (Charleston City Code § 78-165–grandfathered under preemption) City Hall or any municipal building or public park in the City of Dunbar (Dunbar City Code § 545.13–grandfathered under preemption) Any city-owned building, park or recreation area in the City of South Charleston (South Charleston City Code § 545.15–grandfathered under preemption)

    Private Property Prohibitions: “No Firearm” signs in West Virginia have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

    State Website: West Virginia

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    west virginia ccw map


Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.