Top Menu

South Dakota Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State South Dakota South Dakota Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #83941

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue to Residents Only

    Issuing Authority: South Dakota Secretary of State

    Required Training: There is no required training to get your permit unless you want the advanced permit.

    How to Apply: You can apply at the Local Sheriff office in the City or County you reside in.

    Non-Residents: South Dakota does not issue permits to Non-Residents.

    Renewal: You must renew your permit every 4 years.

    Processing Time: Within 5 days of applying, the Sheriff will issue you a temporary permit and within 7 days of that temporary permit being issued, the Sheriff will send a copy of your application to the South Dakota Secretary of State so they can issue you your permanent permit.

    Cost: The fee for the permit is $10

    Change of Address: It is recommended that you notify your local Sheriff in the new city or county you reside in after you permanently change your address as well as the Sheriff who originally issued you your permit within 30 days.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: No

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    An establishment licensed to serve alcoholic beverages on the premises if the establishment derives more than 50% of its sales from alcoholic beverages. A county courthouse. An elementary or secondary school premises, including school vehicles or buildings. A snowmobile, unless firearm is unloaded and entirely enclosed in a carrying case. A game preserve or refuge unless the permit holder is: On a public highway and the firearm is enclosed in a case; A resident within the preserve or refuge and is carrying the firearm to use against non-game and predatory animals or birds on his or her own premises.

    Private Property Prohibitions: “No Firearm” signs in South Dakota have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

    State Website: South Dakota

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    south dakota ccw map


Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.