Top Menu

Montana Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State Montana Montana Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #80541

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue to Residents only.

    Issuing Authority: Montana Department of Justice

    Required Training: Completion of a state certified training course is required to apply for a Montana state permit.

    How to Apply: Applications are available and can be submitted at your local County Sheriff’s Office.

    Non-Residents: Montana does not issue Non-Resident permits.

    Renewal: A Montana permit is valid for 4 years from the date it is issued then it needs to be renewed.

    Processing Time: Up to 60 days.

    Cost: A new permit will cost $50, renewals will cost $25 and there may be a $5 charge for fingerprinting.

    Change of Address: Within 10 days of permanently changing your residency you must notify both Local County Sheriff’s offices in the county you moved from and the new county in which you now reside.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: No

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    Portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that have been restricted; A bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution’s normal business hours. It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while:using an institution’s drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is inside the enclosure used for the institution’s financial services or is using the institution’s financial services.

    A room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises. All buildings owned or leased by a local school district that are used for instruction or for student activities

    Private Property Prohibitions: “We highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted “No Firearms” no matter what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the No Guns = No Money Cards and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage.” As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them.” “No Firearm” signs in Montana have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

    State Website: Montana

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    Montana CCW Map

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.