Top Menu

Minnesota Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State Minnesota Minnesota Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #80557

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall issue to Residents and Non-Residents

    Issuing Authority: For residents, the issuing authority is their local Chief of Police or County Sheriff. For Non-Residents you may be issued a license by any Minnesota County Sheriff.

    Required Training: Required to complete a state certified pistol safety training program.

    How to Apply: You have to apply at your local County Sheriff’s office if you are a Resident. For Non-Residents you may apply at any Sheriff’s office.

    Non-Residents: Non-Residents may apply to any Minnesota County Sheriff's office.

    Renewal: You are required to renew your permit 5 years from the date it was issued.

    Processing Time: Up to 30 days

    Cost: A first time application fee will be determined by the County Sheriff but will not exceed $100. A fee for renewing your permit will be determined by the County Sheriff and will not exceed $75. An additional $10 fee will be added to renewals that are being done past the expiration date.

    Change of Address: You are required to notify the issuing Sheriff’s office within 30 days of the permanent address change or petty misdemeanor charges may be brought up against you.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: Upon request from a law enforcement officer you must notify them if you are carrying a firearm.

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    • School property
    • A childcare center while children are present
    • Public colleges and universities – may have policy restricting the carrying of weapons on their premises by employees and students while on campus
    • Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises
    • Private establishments who have personally informed the permit holder that guns are prohibited and demands compliance
    • Places of employment, public or private, if employer restricts the carry or possession of firearms by is employees
    • State correctional facilities or state hospitals and grounds (MN Statute 243.55)
    • Any jail, lockup or correctional facility (MN Statute 641.165)
    • Courthouse complexes, unless the sheriff is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
    • Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
    • Any state building unless the commissioner of public safety is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
    • In a field while hunting big game by archery, except when hunting bear (MN Statute 97B.211)
    • In federal court facilities or other federal facilities (Title 18 U.S.C.§ 930).

    Private Property Prohibitions: Even after making a reasonable request that guns not be brought onto the premises, and even if that request complies precisely with the terms of the statute, the owner or operator of a private establishment must also order a person who refuses to comply to leave the premises, before that person can be prosecuted for petty misdemeanor trespass. Minn. Stat. § 624.714, subd. 17(a). In 5 addition, the gun possessed by the trespasser is not subject to forfeiture. Id.; cf. Minn. Stat. § 609.531, subds. 1(b), 4 (2006) (weapons subject to forfeiture). We highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted “No Firearms” no matter what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the No Guns = No Money Cards and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage.” As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them.” With the Court of Appeals Ruling above “No Firearm” signs in Minnesota have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged with a petty misdemeanor (which in MN is not considered to be a criminal offense). Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

    State Website: Minnesota

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    Minnesota CCW Map

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.