Top Menu

Michigan Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State Michigan Michigan Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #80554

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue to Residents Only

    Issuing Authority: Michigan State Police/ County Gun Board

    Required Training: Required to take a state certified pistol safety training course.

    How to Apply: An applicant can file their application with a county clerk in the county where the individual resides.

    Non-Residents: No Non-Residents will be issued licences.

    Renewal: Every 5 years

    Processing Time: Up to 45 days

    Cost: The application fee is $115 as well as the renewal fee.

    Change of Address: Fill out a request to update your Michigan Concealed Pistol License on the Michigan State Police website.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: Yes

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    • Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian
    • Public or private day care center
    • Public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency,
    • Sports arena or stadium
    • A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises
    • Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons
    • An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more
    • A hospital
    • A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university
    • A Casino

    Private Property Prohibitions: There is not a law specifically stating that No Gun Signs have the force of law in Michigan. is getting conflicting information from sources in Michigan. Some are stating you could be charged with Trespass if you go by a sign. Others say they have to ask you to leave first. If  you don’t leave immediately then you are trespassing. Below are two sources of information. Use caution.

    A: There are no specifications for “No Guns” or “No Weapons” signs in Michigan law. Under the law, there are two ways for a CPL holder to know that guns are not allowed in a specific location. The first is the list of “Pistol Free Zones” (often colloquially referred to as violent criminal empowerment zones) that we must all memorize, which is part of the CPL statute (Pistol Free Areas). The second is when the owner or lessor of any real property communicates to us that our guns are not welcome there. That communication must be reasonable in order to be effective. By reasonable, I don't mean polite. I mean that there is an effective means of communicating to us that we are not welcome so long as we are carrying our guns. This can be done with a sign, verbally, or in some kind of printed material. For instance, if there is a reasonably-sized and located sign in a retail establishment indicating that guns or weapons are not allowed, that would constitute reasonable notice. If an employee of the same establishment actually tells you that you may not carry on the premises, that would constitute reasonable notice. If your employer has an employee handbook or some kind of printed guidelines, and includes a prohibition on guns and/or weapons, that would constitute reasonable notice. If you choose to ignore any such reasonable notice, then you become a trespasser rather than a business invitee. Trespass can be punished as a crime and/or in civil court, and could affect your CPL licensing status.

    State Website: Michigan

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    Michigan CCW Map

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.