Top Menu

Kentucky Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State Kentucky Kentucky Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #77994

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue to Residents Only

    Issuing Authority: Kentucky State Police

    Required Training: A certificate or an affidavit or document certifying completion of a firearms training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.

    How to Apply: The application will be sent to the Kentucky State Police within five working days. The Department of Kentucky State Police shall, within 90 days, either issue a license or deny the application, in which case the applicant shall be informed in writing of the grounds for denial and his right to submit, within 30 days, documentation relating to the denial.

    Non-Residents: No, Kentucky will only issue a License to Carry to military personnel if: Is a citizen of the United States who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky (If you meet the above requirement you would apply like a resident.)

    Renewal: Permits are valid for five years before renewal. If you fail to renew your license on or before the expiration date and wish to renew your license, you will be required to pay an additional late fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00). If six months or more has passed since the expiration date of your license, your license has permanently expired and cannot be renewed. If your license has permanently expired, you may reapply for licensure pursuant to KRS 237.110 by obtaining a CCDW application from the Sheriff of your county of residence.

    Processing Time: within 90 days

    Cost: The applicant must pay the $60 application fee at the time of application.

    Change of Address:You are required to notify the Kentucky State Police within thirty days after the changing of your permanent address or other information on your license. Failure to do so is a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars payable to the clerk of the District Court. To change or update your address or personal information, you must complete a Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons Licensee Request for Change of Personal Information (KSP 121) form at the office of the Sheriff of your county of residence. Once completed, the Sheriff will forward the information to the Kentucky State Police.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: No

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    1. Police station or sheriff’s office.
    2. Detention facility, prison or jail.
    3. Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    4. County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    5. Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    6. General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    7. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    8. Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    9. Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    10. Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    11. Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

    In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

    Private Property Prohibitions:“ highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted “No Firearms” no matter what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the No Guns = No Money Cards and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage.” As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them.” “No Firearm” signs in Kentucky have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

    State Website: Kentucky

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    Kentucky CCW Map

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.