Top Menu

Iowa Concealed Carry Permits

Home Forums Discussion by State Iowa Iowa Concealed Carry Permits

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jacob Paulsen 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #77989

    Jacob Paulsen

    May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue

    Issuing Authority: Local county Sheriff (for Non-Professional Weapon Permits), the Department of Public Safety (for Professional Weapon Permits)

    Required Training: Completion of any National Rifle Association (NRA) handgun safety training course.  Completion of any handgun safety training course available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or certain other firearms training certifying bodies (such as the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy).  Completion of any handgun safety training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement or security enforcement agency approved by the Iowa Department of Public Safety.  Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the following: 1. For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions. 2. For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the national guard or reserve components of the armed forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification. 3. Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer's duties.

    How to Apply: For permits to be issued after 2011 Applications MUST be filed with the Sheriff of the county of residence (except applications for a Nonresident Professional Permit and applications for a Professional Permit for a state employee whose need to go armed is employment based, which are filed with the Iowa Department of Public Safety). Permit is valid for 5 years. Fingerprints are not required. You must be 21 Years of age for a Non Professional Permit and 18 for a Professional Permit.

    Non-Residents: Non Residents may apply but only for a professional permit

    Renewal: Iowa Non-Professional Weapon Permits are issued for 5 years before renewal. Iowa Professional Weapon Permits are issued for 1 year before renewal.

    Processing Time: Up to 30 days

    Cost: $50 New / $25 Renewal

    Change of Address: To change your name or address on an Iowa Weapon Permit contact your local county Sheriff (for Non-Professional Weapon Permits) or the Department of Public Safety (for Professional Weapon Permits) to make the change on your Iowa permit. The charge will be $25.00.

    Required to Notify Law Enforcement: No

    Places Off Limits When Carrying:

    Federal restrictions include all Federal Buildings, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.

    State Restrictions include:

    1. As used in this section, “weapons free zone” means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
    2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense.

    Private Property Prohibitions:“ highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted “No Firearms” no matter what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the No Guns = No Money Cards and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage.” As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them.” “No Firearm” signs in Iowa have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

    State Website: Iowa

    Current Reciprocity Map:

    Iowa CCW Map

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.