- February 15, 2016 at 10:06 am #21346
The Last Date This Page Was Updated: 07/05/16
May Issue VS Shall Issue: May Issue
Issuing Authority: County Sheriff’s or Police Chief
Required Training: If any training is required varies by county.
Non-Residents: California doesn’t issue permits to non-residents.
Renewal: The state requires a minimum of 4 hours of ongoing training but the licensing authority may require additional training above and beyond the 4 hour minimum. The licensing authority can charge their own fee (not to exceed $25) in addition to the
Processing Time: Varies by jurisdiction but is not to exceed 90 days.
Cost: $70 – $125: Department of Justice + Local processing fee (varies by county)
Change of Address: Notify your county sheriff.
Required to Notify Law Enforcement: Some counties require that during any law enforcement confrontation you must announce you are carrying a firearm and have a license to do so.
Places Off Limits When Carrying:
Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.
State restrictions include:
- No person at a gun show other than security personnel or LEO can have both a firearm and live ammunition.
- The state capitol, any legislative office, any office of the governor, or other constituional officer, any hearing room which any committee of the senate or assembly is conducting a hearing, the grounds of the state capitol.
- A polling place without written authorization
- On your person or within any vehicle under your control or direction while engaged in picketing or other activities in a public place relating to a concerted refusal to work
- Any courtroom
- Any public place or public street while masked so as to hid his/her identity
- Any place when consuming any alcoholic beverage
- Any place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption
- While under the influence of any medication or drug, prescribed or not
- Public and Private K thru 12 Schools and College/University Campus
Private Property Prohibitions: Signs do not have the force of law but they are within their rights to ask you to leave and you could be charged if you don't leave after being asked.
State Website: California
Current Reciprocity Map:
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.