October 8, 2015 at 9:23 pm #9667
The Last Date This Page Was Updated: 10/8/15
May Issue VS Shall Issue: Shall Issue
Issuing Authority: Department of Public Safety
Required Training: The Department of Public Safety approves the course curriculum
How to Apply: Mail in training certificate, two sets of fingerprints, one quality photograph, and the application.
Non-Residents: Alaska doesn’t issue permits to non-residents.
Renewal: Permits must be renewed every five years
Processing Time: No more than 30 days.
Change of Address: Notify your county sheriff.
Required to Notify Law Enforcement: Any person 21 years of age or older may carry a handgun concealed on their person provided that, when contacted by a police officer, informs the officer of that possession and allows the police officer to secure the handgun for the duration of that contact.
Places Off Limits When Carrying:
Federal restrictions include all Federal Building, National monuments, National memorials, secure areas.
State restrictions include:
- Schools K-12 including school yards and buses
- Any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises, except a restaurant where the person carrying the firearm did not consume intoxicating liquor. AS 11.61.220
- Any licensed child care facility or licensed assisted living home for the elderly or for the mentally or physically disabled, if the facility is other than a (18.65.755 private residence.
- Within a courtroom or office of the Alaska Court System, or within a courthouse that is occupied only by the Alaska Court System and other Justice-related agencies.
- Within a domestic violence or sexual assault shelter that receives funding from the state.
- Within another person's residence, unless the person carrying the firearm has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring the firearm into the residence. Now( 11.65.755)
Private Property Prohibitions: Signs do have the force of law but there are no requirements about what the sign has to say or look like.
Current Reciprocity Map:
State Website: Alaska
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.